PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing from Suse to Ubuntu

kevb8ll
April 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
At the moment I have Suse 9.1 istalled on a dual boot with XP pro.

Can I overwrite Suse with ubuntu? I want to do whatever is easiest.

Thanks

iposner
April 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Providing you want trash the SUSE partition, then yes. Make sure you know which partition it is, so that you don't overwrite your windows partition.

Download either either the desktop disk or the alternate disk (my favourite) if you want more techy options without the overhead of GUI.

kevb8ll
April 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I have downloaded ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.

When you say delete the partition do you mean just the content or the partition totally?

Will ubuntu create a new partition, or do I delete just the content and load ubuntu in it - I think it is the latter.

Also what about the dual boot program, will that give me the choice at the beginning as it does now looking for suse even though it;'s there, or will it automatically realise it is now ubuntu.

Sorry I just want to be sure before doing it.

kevb8ll
April 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry, I know these seem like daft questions to most of you - but I just want to be sure before I do anything.

kevb8ll
April 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
No one can help then?

overdrank
April 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
No one can help then?

HI and if you choose the manual install there you can delete the suse partition and the create partition there for Ubuntu. This link may help
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

kevb8ll
April 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
HI and if you choose the manual install there you can delete the suse partition and the create partition there for Ubuntu. This link may help
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Thanks overdrank.

What I am hoping to do is just to delete suse - which I can do with my partition software - then install ubuntu.

The problem I have is I don't know what will happen with the boot options. Will when I install unbuntu it overwrite the boot options?

gavinjb
May 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
when you install Ubuntu, it will install GRUB and you will have a new boot menu with the Ubuntu options and Windows (if you have a dual boot machine)