PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing hardy /home on a different partition

tstack77
April 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I am all prepared to install hardy on a fresh system and I would like my /home folder to be on a separate partition. How do I set this up using the desktop cd?

hotstyle765
April 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I am all prepared to install hardy on a fresh system and I would like my /home folder to be on a separate partition. How do I set this up using the desktop cd?

During the installation wizard it will ask you how you would like to setup the system's partitions. If I remember correctly there is a manual or advanced option that will let you place the /home folder in a different location.

tstack77
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I figured it was in the advanced section, just wasn't sure if was as simple as pointing to /home folder to a new partition. Figured I'd have to create the partition and use the correct naming conventions (which I am not an expert at).

dndrich
April 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I have found that using the alternate cd for clean installs works better. It will ask you how you want to partition, and it automatically sets up the partitions correctly if you want a separate home partition. I would do that.