PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] Firefox fonts suck in hardy

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I used same fonts as I used in gutsy. Dejavu Sans

But still the links in Hardy's Firefox look ugly.

Anyone else felt this ?

Oppewall
April 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I used same fonts as I used in gutsy. Dejavu Sans

But still the links in Hardy's Firefox look ugly.

Anyone else felt this ?

I feel it too. Really ugly. :-(

Can someone enlight us on the font issue?

Aikon-
April 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I agree, Firefox fonts are terrible... wtf =/

Changing the selected font in "Edit -> Preferences -> Content" doesn't seem to have an effect.

Specifically, the font appears to be "too tall"; it should match the toolbar fonts (see attached image).

adityakavoor
April 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
here is my screenshot

ugly fonts on the ubuntu website

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5695/screenshotsa1.th.jpg (http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotsa1.jpg)

Aikon-
April 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Ok, something new.. it appears to be some kind of existing package installation or configuaration option from having upgraded from Gutsy; I just installed a clean 8.04 on my laptop (my above screenshot is from desktop) and the fonts look fine.

I remember having to make some adjustments for Gutsy because the FF fonts looked terrible then, so maybe they fixed the problem and my additional "fix" is now breaking it again, but I don't remember what those changes were.. =(

macpeteo
April 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Not a font issue but after doing my upgrade to Hardy (from Gutsy), my Firefox icon is just a grey rectangle! Is the icon corrupted in some way??

Thanks,
Macpeteo

adityakavoor
April 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, something new.. it appears to be some kind of existing package installation or configuaration option from having upgraded from Gutsy; I just installed a clean 8.04 on my laptop (my above screenshot is from desktop) and the fonts look fine.

I remember having to make some adjustments for Gutsy because the FF fonts looked terrible then, so maybe they fixed the problem and my additional "fix" is now breaking it again, but I don't remember what those changes were.. =(

I did a fresh install

tofuconfetti
April 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I found the same when I installed the Beta version. Then I did a little research, found this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4740128&posted=1#post4740128), and posted what I did to solve the problem.

adityakavoor
May 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I installed msttcorefonts and everything is fine
Remember to uncheck allow websites to use their own fonts

vishzilla
May 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
For me, its quite decent
Screenshot with the Hardy Firefox defaults

Muhammad
June 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I installed msttcorefonts and everything is fine
Remember to uncheck allow websites to use their own fonts
Which font should I mark as default?

kuppalli
May 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM
I am also facing the same issue. Please suggest what to do.
I have downloaded Microsoft's default fonts also, but no use :(