PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to change resolution in Hardy Command Line

Afkpuz
April 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hello, I just downloaded Hardy and it seems that the installation process has changed. I have a large CRT monitor with a resolution of 800x600. In the past, I used an alternate install CD and selected that resolution in the text installer. Now, Hardy doesn't present me with that option and it tries to run my resolution at something way too high to see anything. So, how do I change the resolution and refresh rate through the command line recovery console? Oh, and I've installed hardy, I just cannot boot it up. The screen turns to fast moving lines that make no sense.

I check xorg.conf and it looks really different than previous versions.

Here are the specs I Need

Res: 800x600
Vert Ref: 60
Horiz ref: 31

Can anyone help?

Peter09
April 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Boot into safe mode, that will give you a text based prompt.

What graphics card have you got?

PC

Afkpuz
April 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Nvidia geforce 8600 GT I think. I know how to get to the command line, I just don't know what to edit anymore. Hardy is so different! My xorg.conf file looks nothing like what it used to after fresh install. I just need to know where I can configure my resolution and refresh rate in the command line and the syntax to do it.

Peter09
April 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Try typing

envyng -t

at the command prompt. It will do a good job of installing the nvidia drivers. you can the use

nvidia-settings

to setup the screen

PC

Afkpuz
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
says there's no such command as

envyng

and I double checked my spelling too. Does anyone know which text file I can edit to change my resolution?

eriqjaffe
April 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
You need to download envyng...

sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

You might also need to grab envyng-core, I can't remember if apt will download that automatically or not. Once that's installed, you can run envyng from a terminal.

howlingmadhowie
April 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM
i wouldn't worry about envy unless you're using an nvidia of an amd card.

does
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg still work?

don't worry. i've just tried it. it doesn't.