PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] deul moniors

Periswell
April 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM
hi

ive just got the new ubuntu and i was wondering how do you get duel monitors. thanks.

-josh

Ub1476
April 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Open "Screens and Graphics", which is a graphical front end for detecting displays. It's probably hidden (edit menus to show it), but the launch command for it is:

gksu displayconfig-gtk

Dark Hornet
April 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
what gfx card do you have...if it is nVidia, you will probably want to use the nVidia drivers, and use Twinview which comes with it. This will allow you to use both of your monitors. Hope this helps.

Darkhornet

lassegs
April 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hmmz. I have a Nvidia 8800GT, just upgraded to 8.04. Using the nvidia drivers.

Twin View worked like a charm under Gutsy, with the nvidia display settings thingy. But in Hardy neither displayconfig-gtk nor the Screen Resolution in the System -> Prefrences menu show the second monitor.

With the open source drivers the second monitor is found, but it will just clone views (mirror)

Since I'm a big fan of the TV series IT Crowd, I tried turning the monitor on and off again :P. Tried rebooting. No go.

Tried running nvidia-xconfig, but that didnt help me either, just made the xorg.conf very messy.

Normally I would find some xorg.conf and just duplicate it, but I'm a little unsure about this whole 7.3 hotplugging thing.

I attached my xorg.conf. Thanks in advance.

SOLVED: Saw the http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764433 thread, installed nvidia-settings, and everything was perfect.

Dark Hornet
April 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Glad everything worked out...I have an 8800 GTX, and twinview works great for me.

Darkhornet