PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Autohide panels

dwally89
April 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I'm running Hardy, and have two panels, one at the top of the screen, and one at the bottom.
I have set them both to autohide, but sometimes the one at the bottom of the screen doesn't autohide.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks

ZabiGG
May 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hi there and thanks for your question...

Sorry it took so long. Posts pile up pretty fast in this section of the forum.

Are you still trying to solve this issue? If you have, we'd love to know the outcome.

If you still need help, I can help you find some, so just post back.

Thanks,

ZabiGG

dwally89
May 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hi,

I gave up on this and have since decided to add the two arrows on either side of the panels which allows me to roll them to the side of the screen.

However if a way can be found to solve the autohide I'd much prefer that.

Thanks

ZabiGG
May 18th, 2008, 07:00 AM
In my humble newbie opinion, it could be because the cursor remains on top of it, so it stays active.

But could you provide more details on when the panel doesn't hide? Any specific task in progress or application open when that happens?

Cheers,

Z.

NightwishFan
May 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
If the problem is which only one of the panels perhaps delete it and, remake it from scratch.

dwally89
May 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's a problem with the panel itself, rather applets on the panel.
I have one panel, at the top of the screen, and it has:
1. Show Desktop
2. Workspace switcher
3. Notification Area
4. A button that closes a crashed program
5. Volume control
6. Clock/calendar
7. Logout button

Any ideas what to do?

ZabiGG
May 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
But you say your problem is with the bottom panel... Please try to be as specific as possible as to what is wrong with it so someone knowledgeable can help ;)

dwally89
May 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Since my initial post, I decided to get rid of my bottom panel, as I have no use for it, and it just wastes screen space.

ZabiGG
May 18th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I don't think it's a problem with the panel itself, rather applets on the panel.
I have one panel, at the top of the screen, and it has:
1. Show Desktop
2. Workspace switcher
3. Notification Area
4. A button that closes a crashed program
5. Volume control
6. Clock/calendar
7. Logout button

Any ideas what to do?

But what is the problem?

Joeb454
May 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hmm, I've just checked my bottom panel, it autohides fine (not totally, but how could you mouse over it without seeing it ;)).

What exactly happens then? Anything at all? And can you make sure that if you right click the panel, and choose preferences, that autohide is checked :)

jimrz
May 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I agree, probably being caused by one of your applets. I have the"disk mounter" applet on my bottom panel, which is set to autohide, and after I have used this applet I must either click on a blank area of the panel or change to another virtual desktop before autohide will do it's thing again.

dwally89
May 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
ZabiGG: Read previously to see what my problem is.
Joeb454: Autohide is definately checked.
jimrz: I think it is one of my applets, but am not sure which one.

dwally89
May 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
OK, I'm almost certain its the workspace switcher applet.

I created a new panel, set it to autohide, and it worked fine.
Then I added the workspace switcher applet, switched workspace to another desktop, and then the panel refused to autohide.

So I'd appreciate it if a few of you followed the following steps, and told me if you got the same results:

1. Create a new panel
2. Set it to autohide
3. Add the workspace switcher applet
4. Use the applet to switch workspaces
5. Tell me if the panel still autohides

Thanks

Joeb454
May 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
ZabiGG: Read previously to see what my problem is.
Joeb454: Autohide is definately checked.

Ok then what happens if you try removing your applets 1 by 1 (remember you can always add them again :))

dwally89
May 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
OK, I'm almost certain its the workspace switcher applet.

I created a new panel, set it to autohide, and it worked fine.
Then I added the workspace switcher applet, switched workspace to another desktop, and then the panel refused to autohide.

So I'd appreciate it if a few of you followed the following steps, and told me if you got the same results:

1. Create a new panel
2. Set it to autohide
3. Add the workspace switcher applet
4. Use the applet to switch workspaces
5. Tell me if the panel still autohides

Thanks

jimrz
May 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Sorry no idea, I have all of the applets you mention above on one or the other of my panels but only "disk mounter" causes this behavior on mine. Also, I only have my bottom panel set to autohide, maybe having both set contributes to the issue.

dwally89
May 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by jimrz:
Also, I only have my bottom panel set to autohide, maybe having both set contributes to the issue.

I only have one panel, that is at the top of my screen, so that can't be the problem.

jimrz
May 19th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I only have one panel, that is at the top of my screen, so that can't be the problem.

oops ... forgot that you removed the bottom panel