PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FireFox unresponsive when openining YouTube

GoCool
April 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I installed the plugin DownloadHelper for downloading the youtube video, but after that when ever I open YouTube, it freezes up the entire system. Even mouse movement is not possible.

Did anyone else encounter this problem?
Any solution for this?

spiderbatdad
April 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Are you using FF3 b5?
It's broken. Launchpad bug report suggests removing the file urlclassifer3.sqlite from the .mozilla/firefox/whatever.default folder in your home directory, and restarting firefox as a possible fix. I have switched to using SeaMonkey.

GoCool
April 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Are you using FF3 b5?

No I am using Firefox 2.0.0.14

urlclassifer3.sqlite from the .mozilla/firefox/whatever.default folder in your home directory, and restarting firefox as a possible fix.

I couldnt find this file. I even did a search on it. Sorry, but my linux skills is still in developing stage, so a little clarity could help me get through.

I have switched to using SeaMonkey.
I am not finding it in Synaptic Manager.

Thank you once again atleast for responding to my query, it's highly appreciated.

philinux
April 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
No I am using Firefox 2.0.0.14

I couldnt find this file. I even did a search on it. Sorry, but my linux skills is still in developing stage, so a little clarity could help me get through.

I am not finding it in Synaptic Manager.

Thank you once again atleast for responding to my query, it's highly appreciated.

The urlclassifier file is only used by firefox 3, it's a database for anti phishing and site forgery. But is causing firefox to use a lot of cpu. Hopefully a fix is on the way. For your problem is sounds like best not to use this addon or make sure you've got the latest version. Maybe report a bug to mozilla.

GoCool
April 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you for the quick response. Another noob question - I don't know how to uninstall a plugin? Will Synaptic show the plugin?

rlange
April 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
It is under the tools tab then add ons.

GoCool
April 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
It is under the tools tab then add ons.

Thank you.