PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] LCD Monitors and Swabs Isopropyl

Sugi
April 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I need to clean my LCD Laptop monitor and I don't really know. This may seem like a stupid question, but what do I use? I have soem Isopropyl Swabs that are 90 proof (or at least around that). Would this be fine to clean it with the 90 proof and a soft cloth?

Thanks, :)
Sugi

Sugi
April 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Bump

dstew
April 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
It depends on what kind of dirt is on it. If it is water-soluble (coffee, coke, most food) then a wet paper towel is all you need. If there is some fat or oil in the dirt, then you can use isopropyl alcohol. Be careful not to let it run down inside the case though, because the alcohol can dissolve come kinds of adhesives.

Sugi
April 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
It depends on what kind of dirt is on it. If it is water-soluble (coffee, coke, most food) then a wet paper towel is all you need. If there is some fat or oil in the dirt, then you can use isopropyl alcohol. Be careful not to let it run down inside the case though, because the alcohol can dissolve come kinds of adhesives.

Do you mean wet soft cloth instead of paper towel. I heard paper towels are a no no, because they are too rough? ....I kinda thought about that, the Isopropyl Alcohol leaking inside of the LCD case. It doesn't sound good.

Sugi

dstew
April 26th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Ideally, you want a lint-free and abrasive-free wiper, like camera lens paper. A soft lint-free towel is also good. I don't think the LCD face is as sensitive to tiny scratches as a camera lens, but it is probably a good idea not to use a plain paper towel or napkin.