PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting fresh with 8.04 help

MikeonTV
April 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm in now way a novice but I have been able to Grub a partition on on my acer laptop and duel boot Vista and Feisty Fawn. I now want to upgrade but I think the best way would be to remove FF completly and install 8.04 after that.

So is there a good tutorial on how to get into the partition and remove, then install the new version?

Peter09
April 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You do not need to remove the partition, might be worth just attempting an upgrade of the system first to see if it works, that would take you straight to Hardy.

After that its a case of downloading the iso and booting the LiveCD. It will identify your partitions and do an install into the linux one, if you instruct it that way.

PC

ssj3strife
April 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
You shouldn't need to do a fresh install on it. There's lots of instructions floating around on how to do an in-place upgrade. If you're dead-set on removing your Feisty install though, you won't need to mess with the partitions. Just start a LiveCD install and make sure to check the "format this partition" box when you select an install location. That ought to do it for you.

MikeonTV
April 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. I am dead set on formating the partition first. I wasn't going to remove it completly. I'm burning the live CD now and I'll do it all at home tonight when I'm with that machine.
Afterwards I'll have to redo all the VMware stuff to get visit to boot in ubuntu again.
Most of the reason I'm doing this is because I want to practice my installing OS's to help future users in my community.