PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install without wiping data?

Dan Sarf
April 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hello

As a noobie I have only ever installed Ubuntu on a freshly formatted drive. I want to do a clean install of 8.04 but I also don't want to bother with backing up all my data. Can I do a fresh install without wiping my whole drive?

If so, how?

Thanks!

Periswell
April 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
installing from cd or update manager?

-josh

aeiah
April 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
the easiest thing ive found to do is create a new partition, put everything you want saving on it, and then wipe your ubuntu partition and install

Dan Sarf
April 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that a fresh install would *have* to come from the CD!

Dan Sarf
April 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
the easiest thing ive found to do is create a new partition, put everything you want saving on it, and then wipe your ubuntu partition and install

My whole hard drive is one partition with everything on it.

philinux
April 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
You could move home to its own partition.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

toecutter
April 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
If you can borrow a hard drive to back all your data to, then you can install Ubuntu so you can 'future-proof' installs down the road: create a separate /home partition and keep all your data there. Then you'll be able to wipe the OS and/or do a clean install (and also install other Linux distro's) on the root partition and you're all set :)

edit: the psycocats instructions ^^^^ are the way to go, that is exactly what I did several installs ago, and I'm able to just do fresh installs from the CDs as they come out.

Dan Sarf
April 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
OK thanks guys, I think I will do that then.

mister_pink
April 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Check this out. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbiquityPreserveHome

Ive never tried it myself and I don't actually know of anyone having tried it either! Worth a try though, if it doesn't seem to be working just abort the install. As always, back up anything really vital.