View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound card settings change each startup

April 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I originally posted this in the beginners group & I hope tihs is not a no-no but i think this is probably a better group for my question.
My problem is every time I boot up I never know what my sound cards place will be given, 0,1, or 2. I have three sound devices.
1 - Onboard - disabled in bios but still shows up in Ubuntu studio Gusty
2 - M-audio 2496
3 - Sound Blaster Live

I mainly use just the M-audio but sometimes I might want some sound out of the SBlive. Anyways everytime I boot up I have to check "/proc/asound/cards"
to find the number of my M-audio card to set up Jack for recording. Is there any way to keep the card numbers constant on every boot?
I found this solutution in another forum so i figure I'n post it here:

To solve multiple sound cards order from changing on boot-up take the output of:

cat /proc/asound/modules
(Should look something like this)
0 snd_ice1712
1 snd_emu10k1
2 snd_via82xx
Then edit "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base" file & add the following lines to the end of the file in the order you want the cards to be using the results of your output like this:

options snd-ice1712 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=1
options snd-via82xx index=2
Note: The spacing has to be exact with special notice to no spaces between "=" sign.

April 5th, 2013, 12:25 AM
What I would do is set jack to start by the name ID instead of the number ID. To get the name ID, do:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfe300000 irq 16
1 [M66 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 66
M Audio Delta 66 at 0xd040, irq 21
2 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfe080000 irq 24

The name ID I like to use here, is "M66". So, to start jack, I do:

jackd -d alsa -d hw:M66

This also works in qjackctl. You just need to enter the name manually in the "interface" field.

Wild Man
April 6th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Thanks for sharing! Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.