PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Still having install problems

walt99
April 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm still having much trouble with the install. I have tried several different install disks and I was final able to get to the step where it acctually starts the install. At the stage when it is coping the files it will get to 51% and fail. The message is that it cannot write to the file system due to a bad disk or bad CD. I know the Cd is good because it worked on a different system and the hard drive is new and I have install WinXP on it before.

This is an HP Pavilion a305w with a Celeron 2.7 CPU and 250G hd and 1G ram I don't know what the video card is but it is on board.

I am going to use a util to totally wipe the hd and retry the install. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

(BTW this is Ubuntu 7.10)

Also, how is the plug and play on Linux? If I put this hd into another machine to do the install, could I move it back to this machine?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The cd you burnt could be bad. Did you burn it at minimum speed? 4x is the speed you should use

walt99
April 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
The cd you burnt could be bad. Did you burn it at minimum speed? 4x is the speed you should use

Yes, I burned at 4x and the disk work on a different PC. Also I used a cleaning disk on the CD ROM drive. I have tried several different disks, including on that a bought at a local computer store, none of them have worked.

waggingwabbit
April 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
what if you burned it at fastest possible but when you check the disk on boot and it says there are no erros?

walt99
April 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
what if you burned it at fastest possible but when you check the disk on boot and it says there are no erros?

:confused:

walt99
April 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Ok, I have given up on Ubuntu. I ran Gdisk on the drive last night and installed OpenSuse with only one or two hitches. I still can't connect to my ISP, but thats another issue.

Thanks and bye.):P

appier
July 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I have a computer with identical configuration to walt99's, and had no trouble installing Ubuntu Hardy. The problem I encountered was the CPU fan ran on high speed all the time.