PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] just wondering about bluetooth...

turcott
April 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
hey there, just wondering if the bluetooth is activated or on, for example bluetooth in ubuntu 7.10 on my macbook is started on default, i know you can change that. My question is, wouldn't leaving bluetooth on make you more vulnerable, isn't it possible for someone to connect to the bluetooth device in the macbook and take control, or use it like leaching a wireless network connection?

Anyone ever tried changing the ubuntu source code so that it will recoginize EFI on bootup, that way the white screend delay would be fixed....or has the new version 8.04 corrected this issue?

In order to alter the OS, do you first need to download the kernel, and compiler, before you can change/fix hardware, or OS issues? Or could i do that now using the ubuntu terminal?

cyberdork33
April 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
hey there, just wondering if the bluetooth is activated or on, for example bluetooth in ubuntu 7.10 on my macbook is started on default, i know you can change that. My question is, wouldn't leaving bluetooth on make you more vulnerable, isn't it possible for someone to connect to the bluetooth device in the macbook and take control, or use it like leaching a wireless network connection? You can control your bluetooth stuff from the bluetooth applet near the clock.

Anyone ever tried changing the ubuntu source code so that it will recoginize EFI on bootup, that way the white screend delay would be fixed....or has the new version 8.04 corrected this issue?You have it backwards. This is not a problem with Ubuntu detecting EFI, it is a problem with the Apple EFI detecting Ubuntu (or any "legacy OS"). The best option would be to use an EFI bootloader to load linux, but that is probably still a long way off.

hellmitre
April 25th, 2008, 12:49 AM
In response to your query about the boot loader, I'd try installing rEFIt in Mac OS X, which is what your computer automatically (by default) wants to boot from. It should give you the option to boot off any bootable drives or partitions connected to your computer at boot.

slacka-vt
April 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM
My question is, wouldn't leaving bluetooth on make you more vulnerable, isn't it possible for someone to connect to the bluetooth device in the macbook and take control, or use it like leaching a wireless network connection?

1. Bluetooth requires an encryption key in order for a new device to make a connection.

2. Bluetooth connections are only capable to a maximum of 12 ft (4 meter) to 33 ft (10 meter) range so you *should* have a clear view of the perpetrator and can smack them over the head thusly.

~s

turcott
April 25th, 2008, 03:23 AM
hahahah, ya i could see myself doing that if the perpetrator was in my sight, lol...oh and i can't install rEFIt in Mac OS X, cause it came formatted with no disks, (bought at pawn shop). Can i install something similar in ubuntu since it's already installed?

cyberdork33
April 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
hahahah, ya i could see myself doing that if the perpetrator was in my sight, lol...oh and i can't install rEFIt in Mac OS X, cause it came formatted with no disks, (bought at pawn shop). Can i install something similar in ubuntu since it's already installed?
You could install rEFIt if there was a linux equivalent of the OSX command 'bless' but there is not.

russo.mic
April 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM
CD, correct me if i'm wrong, but for a bit there they had compiling instructions for rEFIt under linux, and it included bless...is that no more? or was it never and i'm just dreaming that up...

Russo

cyberdork33
April 27th, 2008, 04:36 PM
CD, correct me if i'm wrong, but for a bit there they had compiling instructions for rEFIt under linux, and it included bless...is that no more? or was it never and i'm just dreaming that up...

RussoIf there is, i have never seen it. Would be awesome for those without OSX at all though if it could be done.