PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] D-Link Wireless USB Dongle Thingy

VickiAnn
April 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
As you can tell from the title, I'm not overly computer-savvy.

I have always worked on Windows - from 2000 to my current XP. However XP home insults me daily and the thought of Vista worming its way into my life troubles my sleep.

Over the past few years I've been slowly discovering alternative OSes. I have come to the conclusion, just as my trusty desktop PC is nearing the end of a long battle with its current XP Home installation, that I think I would like to switch to Linux.

I personally think Windows has too many frills, MS are money-grabbing, and the whole package absolutely obliterates any chance you may have of making the most of the hardware you've paid for in a comp!

Anywho ... onto my point of concern.

My PC is in my room, in the attic room of a tall Victorian house. My modem/router is in the living, which is 3 storeys below.
I currently use a USB D-Link wireless receiver thingy to connect to the internet. I have attempted a cable and it was a hazard all the way up the stairs!
It's not a PCI card - I have the drivers on a CD which I got with the package.

Does anyone know if I will have success with connecting to the internet this way without having to have WINE constantly running to maintain my connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to make the switch to linux this evening, but am afraid I won't be able to if there's not a way for me to wirelessly connect to the internet as there's really no other alternative available to me :(

Monicker
April 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Do you happen to know the model number of the usb dongle? Normally its written on the back. The revision number would also be helpful.

VickiAnn
April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
No, I'm on a break at work and this silly thing is at home :(

I *think* I may have just found the driver for linux ( http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=887586 ) - if there is a driver available online for mine do I still need to go through the ndiswrapper to run it?

I've seen a lot of posts where people have to start up an app on every start-up to get their wireless working - will this apply for me also with the linux compatible driver?
It's not a problem, but this being all new to me, I just want to know exactly what I need to get onto disk before I take the plunge and write over my XP home installation.

Monicker
April 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
No, I'm on a break at work and this silly thing is at home :(

I *think* I may have just found the driver for linux ( http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=887586 ) - if there is a driver available online for mine do I still need to go through the ndiswrapper to run it?

I've seen a lot of posts where people have to start up an app on every start-up to get their wireless working - will this apply for me also with the linux compatible driver?
It's not a problem, but this being all new to me, I just want to know exactly what I need to get onto disk before I take the plunge and write over my XP home installation.

DWL G-122 Rev C. If that revision number is correct, the drivers will already be there. It should just work right away in Ubuntu, without you having to do anything special.