PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New user and first installation

akafudge
April 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hello folks.

I'd like yo pick your brains regarding my first install of Hardy please.

Machine is a T9500 dual core laptop with 4gb memory. Disk is partitioned 70gb/60gb/60gb all NTFS. Vista 64bit home premium loaded on the first partition or C drive as normal.

I have an ISO created of Hardy 64bit and I want to dual boot for the time being until I get used to Ubuntu at which point i'll trash Vista altogether.

1. If I do an automatic, instead of manual, load after booting from the CD, what will Ubuntu do to my partitions? Is it best to reformat one of the 60gb partitions first and will Ubuntu load to that by default?
2. Will it automatically dual boot with Vista or do I have to enable that?
3. As I will want to lose Vista at some point, is there a better way of loading Ubuntu such that I can delete Vista later or will I have to do a complete Ubuntu install and overwrite everything anyway? Not a problem particulary if I do!

Many thank in advance.

Jonathan

pedro_orange
April 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hello folks.

I'd like yo pick your brains regarding my first install of Hardy please.

Machine is a T9500 dual core laptop with 4gb memory. Disk is partitioned 70gb/60gb/60gb all NTFS. Vista 64bit home premium loaded on the first partition or C drive as normal.

I have an ISO created of Hardy 64bit and I want to dual boot for the time being until I get used to Ubuntu at which point i'll trash Vista altogether.

1. If I do an automatic, instead of manual, load after booting from the CD, what will Ubuntu do to my partitions? Is it best to reformat one of the 60gb partitions first and will Ubuntu load to that by default?
2. Will it automatically dual boot with Vista or do I have to enable that?
3. As I will want to lose Vista at some point, is there a better way of loading Ubuntu such that I can delete Vista later or will I have to do a complete Ubuntu install and overwrite everything anyway? Not a problem particulary if I do!

Many thank in advance.

Jonathan

Hello akafudge, welcome to Ubuntu!

1. You're the only one that can tell what you want from your partitions. Ubuntu will format the partition before installing to it. If you want to keep Vista for the time being; I would install Ubuntu into one of the 60GB partitions.

2. There is a wiki with a Ubuntu/Vista dual boot guide; which is much better than I can describe. But it is possible and quite easy. (I would link you it but the site is so busy with people downloading the OS I can't seem to load the page.)
Here's the google link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dual+boot+vista+ubuntu+wiki&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The top link.

3. Since Windows is on a different partition - you can just format that partition at a later date.

jaytek13
April 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
The "automatic" option that you get when for partitions will automatically resize the windows partition, allocate some space for ubuntu, create a new partition on that space, and then use that space for ubuntu. There are several options besides this, such as using the entire disk, which will wipe out windows, or doing it manually, which there really isn't a reason to do it this way for most people. If you want to keep windows, I'd recommend the automatic option.

As far as dual booting, the installation takes you through the process and will set everything up for you. There's not much need to read over the wiki so long as you can read the installation instructions when you go to install.

kansasnoob
April 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I really like these installation guides as they show you just what to expect from the Ubuntu installer's partitioner:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

I'd look at all of the options, then choose which looks right for you.

I personally prefer doing it all manually as I prefer to create a swap partition at least equal to the amount of RAM, probably not necessary ........ just a preference, and given the size of todays hard drives what's a couple a extra gigs?

Both APC and HowtoForge also have some pretty useful tutorials, but the graphics showing just what to expect from the installer sold me on those in the link provided.

zvacet
April 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
This (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/installing) is realy good guide.

akafudge
April 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks to all of you that have a replied, really great help.

You can guess what I will be doing after work tonight and it does not involve the wife :lolflag:

steveneddy
September 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
So did the install go OK?

How is it going now that you've been a few months since the install?