PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] how to save videos from youtube?

bhadotia
April 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
In windows I had real player which did all the things . But how do we copy a video from net on ubuntu. IN UBUNTU also I have got real playyer but I don't use it , it is pathetic. My vids open up in totem (I think, don't remmember properly)and I see no option to copy the vid . Even by right clicking no option appears (as happens in windows (vista)) regarding saving the vid .

Need help.

billgoldberg
April 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM
In windows I had real player which did all the things . But how do we copy a video from net on ubuntu. IN UBUNTU also I have got real playyer but I don't use it , it is pathetic. My vids open up in totem (I think, don't remmember properly)and I see no option to copy the vid . Even by right clicking no option appears (as happens in windows (vista)) regarding saving the vid .

Need help.

Some basic things to try to download videos from the net.

- look at the source code to see if there is a direct link to the vid. Download it that way.

- for youtube vids there is a command line app that will download them called "youtube-dl"

- there are sites like peekvid.com that do the same for a lot of video sites

- copy them from the cache

mike555
April 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
There is a good extension to Firefox that lets you save movies , called "DownloadHelper " .....

Vadi
April 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
There is a program on getdeb.net called QtTube that downloads youtube vids.

painaxl
April 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Also, there's an extension for Firefox called Download Helper that is pretty easy to use. After you install the extension, right click on the page with the video and go to download helper. It will list the flash videos being played on the page. Click it and it should download.

sandmanfvr
Google "save youtube videos" and you will get I think, www.saveyoutubevideos.com. Copy the link on the youtube video (in the address bar of you browser) and then paste it on the site. When you ge ta chance to save the file, save it as":

FILENAME.flv

where "FILENAME" is whatever you want to call it. If you have your codecs installed, flv files play just fine.

Mit kebes
I would use the video download helper add-on available for firefox. go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006 with firefox and download it. you then go to the youtube page and click the icon. it will let you select the video and download it as a flv file.

bhadotia
Is there no software which can give integrated download options like realplayer?

Linux&Gsus
April 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
or use a firefox add-on ;)

enigmaniac23
April 24th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I also use the extension for firefox "Video Download Helper". This will download movies from youtube, etc. VLC will play these movies very well.

Linux&Gsus
April 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Wow, too many posts at once and almost all say the same.

rsambuca
April 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
If you have just viewed a video, it will be in your web browser's cache folder. Just save it from there. You just need to add an appropriate extension to the name such as mpg, etc.

bhadotia
April 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
sorry for the above reply. I got the answer

Mit kebes
April 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Is there no software which can give integrated download options like realplayer?

while I don't know of a add-on that will work like Realplayer (I miss it too...) the video download helper can do everything I need it too.

bhadotia
April 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thanx guys
:)

bhadotia
April 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Forgot to ask :where to find the codecs for flv files?

Vadi
April 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Totem should try and find them for you as soon as you open the file, I think.

Or you can just get VLC (click (apt:vlc)), right-click on the file and "open with vlc", and it'll play.

bullfrog2
April 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
There is nothing better than [you player] in firefox add ons i love it

bhadotia
April 25th, 2008, 12:01 AM
K..., thank you very much!:)

zetetic
April 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
The best way to achieve what you want is to install the following Firefox add-on:

unplug

bhadotia
April 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
thank you!

ubunter1
April 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
has anyone been able to install the Video DownloadHelper 3.0.3 on the new firefox Firefox 3.0b5? i get this message- DownloadHelper 3.0.3 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.0b5.

daimaru
April 29th, 2008, 12:24 AM
wow.. wow i never knew that real player could do anything but annoy me with its message center :) hated that stupid app and never used it, so its a shock to find out that you're actually supposed to be able to download youtube vids with it. didn't even think it had it in it to play a flv file. Only its stupid rm rmvb ram crapy files :popcorn: but hey i'll try that now and see if it actually works.
ps: just recently stumbled upon pytube a program that downloads and converts youtube vids to avi ogg etc but I'm not sure yet if its any good. If you want to try it heres the link (http://www.bashterritory.com/pytube/)

TorqueyPete
August 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have just downloaded and installed the Video Download Helper Firefox add on and it's working very nicely!!
SOLVED for me too!! :guitar:

bhadotia
August 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Pytube works great for me.

I have just downloaded and installed the same Firefox add on and it's working very nicely!!
SOLVED for me too!! :guitar:
Yes download helper is very much compatible now!