PDA

View Full Version : [kde] does sound work with other distros?

weverjames
April 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I have a gazelle value and I wanted to try other distro. I installed opensuse and everything works except for the sound. I am not sure if the drivers from system 76 would work with KDE? Are they locked just to work with ubuntu?
I think the beauty of using linux is being able to try the many flavors that are available. I hope someone could suggest me a solution for this.

ackey
April 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I didn't have a problem with sound in Kubunutu (on Daru2), but I had installed kde-desktop after running Ubuntu for a while, so my experience may not be very reflective of KDE.

atmartin50
May 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hi weverjames,

I had the same issue. I also have a Gazelle Value (gazp5), and a while back I went through a period of 'distro-hopping,' where I tried several other distros (both as a live version and as a clean install)---Puppy, PCLinuxOS (both the KDE and Gnome versions), Simply Mepis, and Geubuntu. All of these worked fine (with the exception of PCLOS Gnome, which had no wireless) except that there was no sound.

However, my distro-hopping days are over, and I will be doing a fresh install of Hardy soon. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," right?

weverjames
May 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
I installed hardy. Now, wireless does not work.!!Nice!!!

thomasaaron
May 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Let's continue this one here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=778238

There are some suggestions there for you to try.
Please mention there that you are using KDE, also. Just so we have the info in that post.