PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unistall etc

Oldnorman
April 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I have WinPro and then installed Ver.7.10 to dual boot. Worked perfectly. But as a newbie to Linux I messed about and somehow corrupted Ubuntu. I think it happened by playing around with files including /etc/apt/sources.list. Now still boots to Ubuntu but opens a terminal puts a white screen which cannot be written to. Booting to recovery puts me in root but does not recognize my original password! Using startx goes to the Gnome screen but everything is frozen!
Anyway I still want to eventually get rid of Windows after I feel I have mastered Ubuntu. So await delivery of the new Ver. 8 disc any day now. Do I have to uninstall the corrupted Ver. 7 or will Ver.8 install over it without picking up the problem I may have caused? And will the old Grub remain so a good dual boot remains? If not how do I uninstall Ver 7 and keep the partitioning to install the new Ver.8 as a dual boot?

overdrank
April 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I have WinPro and then installed Ver.7.10 to dual boot. Worked perfectly. But as a newbie to Linux I messed about and somehow corrupted Ubuntu. I think it happened by playing around with files including /etc/apt/sources.list. Now still boots to Ubuntu but opens a terminal puts a white screen which cannot be written to. Booting to recovery puts me in root but does not recognize my original password! Using startx goes to the Gnome screen but everything is frozen!
Anyway I still want to eventually get rid of Windows after I feel I have mastered Ubuntu. So await delivery of the new Ver. 8 disc any day now. Do I have to uninstall the corrupted Ver. 7 or will Ver.8 install over it without picking up the problem I may have caused? And will the old Grub remain so a good dual boot remains? If not how do I uninstall Ver 7 and keep the partitioning to install the new Ver.8 as a dual boot?

HI and when you install the new version it will format the existing partition and reinstall the grub. Good luck!

twright
April 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
you can use the live cd to copy any important files to a USB stick :)