View Full Version : [ubuntu] Segfault during initial install

April 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I have an old IBM 733Mhz machine that I want to use as a firewall between my DSL router and my wireless Router. I only have 32Mb of memory in it unfortunately and have stripped every non essential component out of the box it at the moment has 1 20Gb HDD an Ethernet adapter and a CDROM drive in which I have the release candidate -server- CD, the video is onboard. I had planned to just to a basic install however just after I set up my locale and keyboard it the installer runs through getting some packages off the CD and I get a Segmentation Fault it dumps some page memory to the syslog screen and everything starts flashing. I can still run through the process list on the busybox linux installer and issue commands and recurse through the structure but the installer itself is completely zombified. Is there a minimalist install proceedure just to get the basic framework setup, the disk fdisked and partitioned and a bootable device defined?

April 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
For what is nearly an emedded application you may be better off with another distro, Ubuntu is marvellous but I'm prety sure 32MB is just not enough.

I'd take a look at Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) in your position.