PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which one to use Transmission or Deluge for Hardy Heron?

legolas_w
April 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Hi
It is sometimes that I use Deluge as torrent client and now I want to install Hardy from scratch.
Can you tell me which torrent client do you use or which one do you suggest for Hardy Heron?

Thanks.

cb951303
April 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
transmission is the default client for hardy. Deluge is the closest software to great uTorrent on any platform but I like the minimalism of transmission and thats why I use it now :)

hyper_ch
April 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
rTorrent ;)

dmub82
April 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I've tried the new Transmission in Hardy and still prefer Deluge. Like mentioned above, Deluge is closest to uTorrent in Windows which is by far the best torrent client. I might could settle for Transmission, except I seem to get far better speeds with Deluge, when both are properly configured. Will admit that Deluge is kinda buggy, seems to have some memory leak issues.

tenmoi
April 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
None of them should be used because uTorrent for M$ Windows is too good to be abandoned now and the above Linux torrent clients are either too rudimentary or too crash-prone to be considered.

kpkeerthi
April 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
None of them should be used because uTorrent for M$ Windows is too good to be abandoned now and the above Linux torrent clients are either too rudimentary or too crash-prone to be considered.

You must be either kidding or have not used any of linux's native torrent clients. Aren't you? LOL!

Ub1476
April 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Deluge, because it's 10x times faster than Transmission (even though I prefer Transmissions simple look).

hyper_ch
April 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Never tried rTorrent then ;)

sloggerkhan
April 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
If you want something simple, transmission. If you want something nice with a decent GUI, Deluge. For me, the primary feature deluge offers that transmission is missing is blocklists. I don't torrent without one.

Hemmer
April 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I use deluge as its the most similar to utorrent. great wee app! :)

aeiah
April 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
i tried transmission the other week. im a deluge user. apart from the lack of blocklists, i found it combersome to select which files to download and to prioritise certain files in the torrent over others, and to cap the speed of individual torrents. it looks nice and all and i was looking forward to switching to it, but deluge has easy access to features either hidden or non existent in transmission. as the default client, transmission beats ubuntus last default hands down though

lordrick112
April 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Transmission.

I've used Deluge in xubuntu 7.10 but I'll stick with Transmission until
it crashes or something. :popcorn:

Greyhair
April 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Transmission...........

Archmage
April 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
rTorrent ;)

But of course togeter with screen. This way my server can download while my client is down and I'm sleeping. :)

I guess everybody should use the client that is using all there needs.

eentonig
April 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I used to use Deluge. But now I switched over to transmission.

hyper_ch
April 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
But of course togeter with screen. This way my server can download while my client is down and I'm sleeping. :)
well, of course with screen ;)

twright
April 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
transmission and torrentflux both work well

vishzilla
April 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Transmission, because of its simplicity. In case you need more settings to be tweaked Deluge is for you.
My vote goes for Transmission

hyper_ch
April 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM

P.S.:

http://www.sjau.ch/rtorrent_hardy.png

The Seeker
April 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Out of interest, why has Hardy just shipped with version 1.06 of Transmission, when the latest is 1.11 (http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php)? I'm assuming it's for stability reasons.

kpkeerthi
April 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Out of interest, why has Hardy just shipped with version 1.06 of Transmission, when the latest is 1.11 (http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php)? I'm assuming it's for stability reasons.

May be 1.11 was released after the packages versions for hardy were frozen.

yaztromo
April 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I prefer deluge's similarity in layout to the king utorrent. But it's just bug ridden. Even the latest version 0.5.8.9 forgets it's ratio's and reports them wrongly. Several private trackers have already banned it.

I'm a happy transmission user now, maybe I will go back to deluge when 0.6 is released.

fparri
April 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
For me, the primary feature deluge offers that transmission is missing is blocklists. I don't torrent without one.

About that, where do you get your blocklists? ;)

fparri
April 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
well, of course with screen ;)

I often heard about the screen program. I'm googling it now, what is it about? :)

fparri
April 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM
May be 1.11 was released after the packages versions for hardy were frozen.

Exactly. Anyways, if you guys want to update transmission to 1.11 (but I strongly suggest to use deluge, instead), you can add this 2 lines to your sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/adam-caldwell/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/adam-caldwell/ubuntu hardy main

or, if you don't want to, you can always download the packages directly from here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/adam-caldwell/ubuntu/pool/main/t/transmission/

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I often heard about the screen program. I'm googling it now, what is it about? :)

A short introduction to screen:

http://jmcpherson.org/screen.html

Basically it's a session based terminal multiplexer... this means you can have multiple terminals running within one screen sessions and you can detach that session and continue from another location...

that way applications will not stop when you detach the session.

FredB
April 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I use both transmission and deluge. It depends. For linux ISO, I prefer transmission.

mattywarr
April 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I use Azureus, but I'm a uTorrent lover and finding out that Deluge is just like it means I'll be installing that as soon as I get home!

joshrobinson
April 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Azureus all the way

dross_kuh
April 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Am I the only person that uses QBittorrent ? :(

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
is it a cli-based client?

joshrobinson
April 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
is it a cli-based client?
what one? azureus? or qbittorrent?

azureus is java based
qbittorrent is QT4

both GUI

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I was wondering about qbittorrent....

but I have no need for a gui-based client.

fparri
April 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
that way applications will not stop when you detach the session.

Which is very coool, wow!

Thanks a lot :)

messelink
May 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
transmission and torrentflux both work well

I'm having trouble running torrentflux. The box keeps crashing when I run several torrents. I have updated torrentflux to the latest version I could find and it still happens. I have now installed the latest bittornado to see if that helps.

If I run Transmission everything seems to run fine and stable. To be honest, I have no idea why I'm having these problems, before Hardy torrentflux was running just fine.

zenosdog
May 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Transmission. I'm a mac convert, and it never failed me then. My only complaint with it is startup time for a torrent. When you begin a torrent, it seems to sometimes take a while to say hi to the tracker. Other than that, I love it.

yuki68
July 10th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I'm also a Mac convert (actually, Mac is still my main system) so Transmission being available on both systems makes it simple for me. HOWEVER, I am having a serious memory leakage issue. My MacBook Pro has 3 gigs of RAM and once I start to download 2-3 files of any significant size (>1 gig), Transmission eats up almost all of my RAM! I think I may need to try other clients ...

bluepowder7
July 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
i selected "Other" because i use three (well, two now, but maybe two-and-a-half?)

1 - Deluge was my main tool during my tenure with 7.10, though it DID drive me bonkers with crashes. i loved the flexibility, but the crashes were too much

2 - Transmission is what i moved to after getting mostly fed up with Deluge, and it was simple and worked - which was great! yeah, i also noticed that it was sometimes slow to initiate a torrent download, but other than that it worked fine. also, either i dunno how to use it or it simply doesn't have too many features.

3 - Opera. yeah, i sometimes just let the torrent come in using opera's built-in client, though that's generally for ISO's of ubuntu or similar. it's even more basic that Transmission, but for those tasks it's fine.

so, currently it's Transmission and Opera. i MIGHT give Deluge another try, but the chance is kinda slim. unless i read up on that blocklist thing and find out that it's incredibly useful to have.