PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 7.10 i368 on VMware

ccaltabiano
April 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Hi,
ive just installed Ubuntu i368 on VMware, and am having some dificulties.
i am unable to change alot of the graphic apearence settings. would this have something to do with it been run on VMware? also alot of the software wont install.

i was also curious on what min specs would be to run 64bit? im a compleet noob so any help will be helpful.

thanks,
Christian.

kilroy423
April 24th, 2008, 06:50 AM
i am unable to change alot of the graphic apearence settings.

If I'm not mistaken VMware emulates like 16MBs of video memory which isn't enough for anything too extensive.

also alot of the software wont install.

Can you be alittle more specific?

i was also curious on what min specs would be to run 64bit?

Linux in general will run on just about anything. I have it running on a 386 laptop, granted for decent operation you might want atleast 512MB ram, 128MB video card, 1GHZ + CPU.

In my opinion, don't bother running a VM of Linux, just pop in a live cd, and trash it all you want(a reboot will fix anything you mess up).

Kilroy

C!oud
April 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
aye its easier to run it on a live cd than on VMware plus VMware doesn't support compiz fusion or any desktop effects and after just installing a few programs it can become very slow to use. Thus since compiz won't work software like avant window navigator or emerald will not work either.

zvacet
April 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
@ ccaltabiano

Can you make some space on your HDD and dual boot then?Like this. (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/installing)