PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need your suggestion. How to learn operating system?

horry
April 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Hi guys,
I'm a program developer on windows and vxworks, but just applications.
I'm interested in operating system developing strongly, and think linux is the best one help me to learn os.
And I believe there are a lot of master about it.
So, could you give me some suggestion?
Whatever, web links, clue, video link, forums.
Great thanks.

SunnyRabbiera
April 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
well here is a great place to learn.
where do you want to start?

tamoneya
April 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
with linux the best way that I have found is to just try to play around with it. Try installing an apache server. Try setting up a dual boot. Compile a program from scratch. This will allow you to learn a lot. If you manage to break your system while experimenting it will provide you another chance to learn when you fix your system.
Look around the forums and you should find many programs to try and install and play with.

wawadave
April 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
are you looking you learn how to use the os?
or wanting to write code for it?

horry
April 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM
well here is a great place to learn.
where do you want to start?

I think I should start from beginning.
Is there any website fit people to learn os developing like me?

horry
April 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
are you looking you learn how to use the os?
or wanting to write code for it?

I think is the latter, of course.
:)
Any suggestion.

starcannon
April 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Heres a link to a little primer pdf. This is by no means advanced stuff, but perhaps it will help you form questions, I always figure I can find answers if I know the questions to ask.

Welcome to Ubuntu, this is the greatest community on the web imo, and the greatest distro as well :)

Oh yeah, here's that link https://help.ubuntu.com/pdf/ubuntu/C/desktopguide.pdf

horry
April 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Heres a link to a little primer pdf. This is by no means advanced stuff, but perhaps it will help you form questions, I always figure I can find answers if I know the questions to ask.

Welcome to Ubuntu, this is the greatest community on the web imo, and the greatest distro as well :)

Oh yeah, here's that link https://help.ubuntu.com/pdf/ubuntu/C/desktopguide.pdf

Thank you for your link, but it can't open.
:)

SlappyPappy
April 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
That's a .pdf so trying right clicking on it and downloading it.

BTW if you want to learn about a linux system from the ground up Google rolling your own linux system. You should find a bunch of websites on the subject.

You'll learn a ton that way! :)

aeiah
April 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
it probably cant open because ubuntu.com is under a lot of stress right now due to the release of 8.04. im sure with him being a software developer he's come into contact with pdf before :p

but yes. i suggest playing around and using linux for about a week, and then reading up on its structure and such, then begnning to pick apart some small programs. not very specific advice, i know :(