PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade question

sh0N
April 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Well, I sure hope i dont get blasted for asking this, and get told "use the search button" because trust me, I have.

My question is simple, If i upgrade from Gutsy, to Hardy, will i lose all my current data i.e my music, bookmarks, etc?

Thanks for your time in advance!

ace007
April 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
If you upgrade your /home partition will be intact. And assuming all your stuff is in that partition, you're fine.

Kdawkins
April 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
As far as I know, all your data will be there, no big deal. It should just be a simple upgrade.

vishzilla
April 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
If you use the direct upgrade method via the update manager or an alternate cd, you will not lose your data.

wawadave
April 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
It did not lose any thing when i upgraded. But this is basically a crash box i,m learning ubuntu on. and did not have any thing important to lose. you may want to back things up first.

But baring anything unforseen you should not lose anything.
wait for other posters.

edit:3 others posted at same time lol

sh0N
April 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM
eek, /home partition? I have my main install partition and then the swap. Im assuming my main partition is considered the /home? Was i supposed to have another? (dont hate me for such a noobie question pls!) Ive really been trying to learn all this myself the past 2 months, and Im a little behind on the terminology.

z0mbie
April 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I upgraded a couple of days ago. Everything went smooth even in the beta faze.

sh0N
April 24th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Very cool, so... basically all my compiz effects, and awn and such stay intact?

I would just hate to lose the vast amount of "how to's" that I have bookmarked on how to do certain things with ubuntu. Some time info is very hard to come by. BUt again, Thanks for all the post. You guys rock, I shall head foward with my upgrade!

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM
eek, /home partition? I have my main install partition and then the swap. Im assuming my main partition is considered the /home? Was i supposed to have another?

You'll be fine.

You can have /home on it's own partition, or on the root partition. Either way is fine for an upgrade. The advantage of putting /home on a separate partition is that if you do a reinstall, everything in /home (ie: your settings) is retained.

JazonEsti
April 24th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Question about upgrade also: I used Automatix to install drivers for video and fonts. Will my PC be adversely affected when I upgrade to 8.04?

JazonEsti
April 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Bump!

kazamx
April 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Question about upgrade also: I used Automatix to install drivers for video and fonts. Will my PC be adversely affected when I upgrade to 8.04?

It is possible. I know in earlier versions of Ubuntu, Automatrix caused problems with the upgrade, but I don't know about this version. Make sure you backup all your important data before you do the upgrade. If the worst should happen you can then do a fresh install and copy back all your important data, you could lose an hour or two doing a reinstall but at least nothing important will be gone.

JazonEsti
April 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
So should I uninstall automatix first?

sh0N
April 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I am sorry to say that I had to revert back to Gutsy. ;[

I could not get effects to work, and call me superficial, but i love the effects. Rather unfortunate. I was up all night trying to figure out what I could do, and just kept ramming my head into a wall.

I will say hardy is awesome, feature and security wise, but i guess my Dell laptop and hardy aren't quite friends yet. But! Everyone was right, I DID NOT lose any data... that didn't come until I had to reinstall gutsy.

wawadave
April 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
sorry to hear that!