alexsabree
April 24th, 2008, 05:23 AM
yeah what time zone are they going by?

its 11:20PM @ Central Time Zone

Dark Aspect
April 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM

I believe they go by Central because I stayed up till midnight to download gutsy and they updated they're site at around that time.

Knight319
April 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM

30 more minutes. I was looking at the countdown timer and when it hit 12 pm central last night, the timer changed from 2 days to 1.

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I have applied leave today just to download hardy

Dark Aspect
April 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM

lol wow and I thought I loved Ubuntu.Don't know if I would go that far I am about ready to power off my computer and go to bed (I am Central,11:32)

SunnyRabbiera
April 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM
well its midnight here...
it probably will take some time.

schauerlich
April 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM
lol wow and I thought I loved Ubuntu.Don't know if I would go that far I am about ready to power off my computer and go to bed (I am Central,11:32)

But, your uptime!

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM
my dad gets super pissed if i leave my pc on so i have to turn mine off at night

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 05:37 AM
4 more hours to go.

(of course I could be completely wrong...)

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
^maybe just a little off there ^

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Gee. Nowhere does it state a specific time, only a date. Accept that it could be at any time. Do a dist upgrade and you've got the final version, all you're waiting for is the CD images.

alexsabree
April 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Stop being so negative :D

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Stop being so negative :D
Stom assuming things. :(

colorcol
April 24th, 2008, 05:53 AM
i want to check my picture

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
i want to check my picture

??

anyway i think its about 6 minutes to go

Vaelrith
April 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I believe they go by Central because I stayed up till midnight to download gutsy and they updated they're site at around that time.

It changes when your computer's clock changes to 12 am, no matter where you are.

colorcol
April 24th, 2008, 05:59 AM
??

anyway i think its about 6 minutes to go

mmmm,i just want to check my profile picture,it can'
t display correctly.
i uploaded the picture with right conditions....
g d!

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop
release info!!

JayBee808
April 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Just hit midnight here. Now the counter says "Coming Soon". Still only have the release candidates available for download. I promised co-workers copies for tomorrow. I hope it shows up soon.

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM

...and I didn't go to college either:guitar:

Bradleylicious
April 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Well in NY it is 1:10...still not up yet... :(

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop
release info!!

Yeah. According to that it's already released. You just don't have it yet.

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
hey does anybody know where they make annoucements?

Dark Aspect
It changes when your computer's clock changes to 12 am, no matter where you are.

True,to prove this theory I set my clock backwards by several days and the site said such and such amount of days to go.

Well Good night Ubuntu forums :) It could actually be 11:59 PM tonight since there is not a set time on the 24th.I would stay up all night hitting the refresh button over and over again but that for some reason sounds childish to me.

Saya
Yeah. According to that it's already released. You just don't have it yet.
Do a update-manager -d and you will have it.

maver1ck4000
April 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Now that Harvey Birdman is over they will be able to concentrate enough to get the web site updated :D

OH NOES ANOTHER EPISODE!@#$

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM
c'mon canonical release it fast

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
It's 3:15PM here now and I'm going crazy waiting!!!

locky28
April 24th, 2008, 06:19 AM
:mad::mad::mad:

It's 3pm on Thursday the 24th here in Aus (GMT+10) and it's still not out :(

I was all excited this morning when I got to work and when to check the countdown timer expecting to see an hourly countdown or something, "coming soon" was quite the anti-climax :P

LOL your f*n hardcore dude, good effort :P

Can't wait, we got a long weekend down here to for ANZAC day (Lest We Forget) So I'll have plenty of time to get a fresh install all up and running.

/home backed up and ready to roll!

P.S. Anybody know how well the servers are going to handle the bandwidth at initial release?

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 06:21 AM
it would be really funny if we all went and filed a bunch of bug reports right now

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 06:23 AM
At least with Windows it gets released on time. Whether it's actually ready for release though is another matter.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM
it would be really funny if we all went and filed a bunch of bug reports right now

I'm on it!

locky28
LOL, like, how many months late was Vista from it's initial release date?

retrow
P.S. Anybody know how well the servers are going to handle the bandwidth at initial release?Torrents. Always use torrents in the first week. You get better speeds and the mirrors don't max out.

maver1ck4000
April 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I think it would be better if this was released as a winblows automatic update

locky28
April 24th, 2008, 06:26 AM
How long will it take for the torrents to get up and running?

myusername

i guess that would be called the orange screen of death by some people

Foster Grant
At least with Windows it gets released on time. Whether it's actually ready for release though is another matter.

When was the last time any version of Windows was released on time?

Canonical will have the new software up sometime Thursday in their local time zone, which I believe is GMT (aka UTC).

SirThom
Microsoft releases everything late. They just stay a bit more liquid about their release dates.

Bradleylicious

But where can you download a copy of Windows? To the best of my knowledge you buy it in a store...a little bit different no?

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Yeah, but I would probably fail the Windows Genuine Advantage validation needed to install it.

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
actually i thought i saw a thing on ms website about how you could buy and download vista

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
But where can you download a copy of Windows? To the best of my knowledge you buy it in a store...a little bit different no?
You can download most Microsoft programs on MSDN etc.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Didn't somebody make an open source Windows compatible Windows clone?

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM
You can download most Microsoft programs on MSDN etc.

Don't forget The Pirate Bay.

maver1ck4000
i guess that would be called the orange screen of death by some people

Lol, I actually got the blue screen of death on my virtualbox windows xp pro when I opened netmeeting, it was funny to see a virtual machine crash.

myusername
reactOS...isnt that what its called? btw how'd we go from the hardy release to microsoft

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Don't forget The Pirate Bay.
I thought we were talking about legitimate online releases of Microsoft software. TPB is illegal.

Bradleylicious
April 24th, 2008, 06:31 AM

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Back on topic... Hardy? Time zone release? Sadly waiting... :P

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I thought we were talking about legitimate online releases of Microsoft software. TPB is illegal.

Sorry. I'm just talking nonsense due to the stress of waiting for 8.04!!!

retrow
April 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM
How long will it take for the torrents to get up and running?They are all released at the same time. Instead if the desktop iso, go for the torrent file and try to seed it for a little while if you can. Gutsy was released around 6AM GMT.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html ??

That looks like it. I wonder if anybody uses it? It seems like the only advatage would be that it's free, and otherwise it would combine disadvantages of Microsoft and Linux.

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM
i wouldnt use it but it looks promising

powerpleb
April 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

I don't think it's anywhere near finished

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 06:35 AM
That looks like it. I wonder if anybody uses it? It seems like the only advatage would be that it's free, and otherwise it would combine disadvantages of Microsoft and Linux.
I tried the Live CD. Its in alpha and piece of crap until now. Doesn't even recognize my mouse and keyboard....but that's what alphas can do ;)

myusername
i don't think it ever will be

imT
he, he, he....how about torrents, warez-forums...and there's also lot's of flavors/distros; just that they're called windows "mod-ed" instead of windows distro's :popcorn: you can download windows copy's if you want to and even before the release date :popcorn: but who wants that awful 0s anyway ?

majician
April 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
anyone in the pacific time zone?

SirThom
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Back on topic... Hardy? Time zone release? Sadly waiting... :P

Oh my God! Something shiney! A distraction from the topic!

Let's talk about electric tea kettles!

I don't think they've really caught on in the states, yet. Having a traditional kettle on the stove seems to be the most common.

myusername
as stated before...we were talking about legit copies

Irihapeti
April 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I don't suppose the devs are sitting there with their fingers poised over the upload button while they wait for the alarm clock to go off.

But maybe they are watching the forums, laughing at all the people getting really wound up about it, and when they've got bored with this they'll release it.

Makes a good story, anyway. :)

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
but who wants that awful 0s anyway ?
92% (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8)

maver1ck4000
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah, as long as it's not based off the same stupid bloated registry and shared dll's, otherwise it would be interesting to see a version of windows that is fast.

powerpleb
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I tried the Live CD. Its in alpha and piece of crap until now. Doesn't even recognize my mouse and keyboard....but that's what alphas can do ;)

What's the point of it anyway other than just a very geeky experiment. Windows sucks, those developers would better spend their time improving ways of running native windows software on Linux and similar OSs.

Bradleylicious
April 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Well put...

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM

I actually feel slight leetism about linux. I was watching a DVD to study for the Actuarial exams, and the fellow had his computer hooked up with a touch screen to draw on and we say his screen and that. When it came on I snickered, 'Ha! He uses Windows. What a looser.'

The other person at the table asked me what I used.

And of course I started showing off ubuntu,

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM
What's the point of it anyway other than just a very geeky experiment. Windows sucks, those developers would better spend their time improving ways of running native windows software on Linux and similar OSs.

SOmebody needs to bring back CP/M. That was a fine operating system!

Bradleylicious
April 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
SOmebody needs to bring back CP/M. That was a fine operating system!

I will bring it back...but what do you want to use it for... :P

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I will bring it back...but what do you want to use it for... :P

The new open source version of Electric Pencil will leave OpenOffice in the dust.

Bradleylicious
April 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM
The new open source version of Electric Pencil will leave OpenOffice in the dust.

Touché!

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I just drew the Ubuntu boot-up screen onto my monitor with crayons to help subdue the desperate cravings for it to be RELEASED!

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Strike that! WordStar! That's what I meant. dBASE, KAMAS, Multiplan.

Just imagine! Everything that we know about computers redesigned with a fresh philosophy building on the roots. Sort of like if a cluster of society gets separated and evolves in parallel into a completely different society.

If CP/M had a gui, would it be based on the mouse/icon/window/menu metaphor that we all know so well, or minus the influence of the XEROX Alto would it become something completely different?

Would we have mice?

Would we have pointers?

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Strike that! WordStar! That's what I meant. dBASE, KAMAS, Multiplan.

Just imagine! Everything that we know about computers redesigned with a fresh philosophy building on the roots. Sort of like if a cluster of society gets separated and evolves in parallel into a completely different society.

If CP/M had a gui, would it be based on the mouse/icon/window/menu metaphor that we all know so well, or minus the influence of the XEROX Alto would it become something completely different?

Would we have mice?

Would we have pointers?

It's an interesting thought experiment, really. Take away the mouse and everything you know, and rebuild an advanced operating system as evolved from CP/M. Back in the late 70s, everybody was into AI. Maybe a computer that responds to natural language commands with the same capacity and efficiency that we use a mouse and keyboard. Of course, people would probably learn how to phrase things based on knowing what the computer can figure out on it's own. If the computer can't figure out how to do the steps for a task in the most efficient way, it asks me for clarification in natural speech, and I respond. For example, 'Computer, using a QR decomposition for finding your inverses, please find the best fit of the Y values in column 1 of this data to the predictor variables in the remaining columns.'
'That is a rather ambiguous question, sir. By what method shall I determine the relevant predictor variables?'
'Do it with R squares, and then also do a forward stepwise.'
'Here is your data, sir.'

BrokeBody
April 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM
...and I didn't go to college either

Me neither. :p

Anyway, I heard on IRC that CD image will be available on the main server by 23:59 in Western Samoa and it's GMT-11 over there. :lolflag:

jhaskins
April 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Would we have pointers?

I don't know about pointers, but my crayons are serving me well. I've just recreated OpenOffice thanks to Crayola(tm).

tqft
April 24th, 2008, 07:06 AM
...Maybe a computer that responds to natural language commands with the same capacity and efficiency that we use a mouse and keyboard. Of course, people would probably learn how to phrase things based on knowing what the computer can figure out on it's own. If the computer can't figure out how to do the steps for a task in the most efficient way, it asks me for clarification in natural speech, and I respond. ...'

Maybe an interface more Newton like?

marko_4454
Just hit midnight here. Now the counter says "Coming Soon". Still only have the release candidates available for download. I promised co-workers copies for tomorrow. I hope it shows up soon.

Last time I waited, I remember that it was after midnight (CA Time). So there is still an hour or so to go. I actually dont remember if it was midnight or 1AM but one of those.
Also, downloading will be a drag at first, so I dont think you will be able to have them by tomorrow. Try torrent, it should be faster than http.

SirThom

Anyway, I heard on IRC that CD image will be available on the main server by 23:59 in Western Samoa and it's GMT-11 there. :lolflag:

It's 19.06 there now.

Ahh, colonialism!

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Maybe an interface more Newton like?

That would make sense. Touch screens were the rage then to. Without a mouse you don't necessarily think of the click-drag interface. It would probably be all on-screen buttons, and maybe some drawing.

It would probably still have a keyboard though. The standards of computer technology would have to evolve pretty far before we got to things that were really comfortable and convenient to write on. Even a display integrated into a desk is awkward (imagine a CRT facing up with a touch screen), because people like to hold paper and different angles and move it about.

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Anyway, I heard on IRC that CD image will be available on the main server by 23:59 in Western Samoa and it's GMT-11 there. :lolflag:

so 6 more hours ?????

spamzilla
April 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
patience

pa·tience [ páysh'nss ]

noun
Definition:

1. capacity for waiting: the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties
I was beginning to run out of patience.

lose (your) patience (with somebody) to become exasperated by somebody

BrokeBody
April 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM
so 6 more hours ?????

Current time in Western Samoa (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/time-zone/pacific/western-samoa/)

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
patience

pa·tience [ páysh'nss ]

noun
Definition:

1. capacity for waiting: the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties

I agree

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
OK comrades!

I am closing ubuntu forums from my web browser for tonight. There is a huge test that I am supposed to be cramming for (hence my manic posts due to excessive stimulants), I've been completely anti-social due to a busy week, I can't justify a break until Sunday afternoon, and here I am goofing off for hours talking about ubuntu and stuff. I won't even install it until after a day or two to get a quick speed because I need my machine for the next for days.

So take well, and keep rocking the world Ubuntu style.
:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::g uitar::guitar:

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'l be back after a shower. Hope its released by then

BrokeBody
April 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Me too...

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
ok i just tried the sudo update-manager -d thing and its not finding anything. are they completly dropping xubuntu or something?

dmb
April 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
It will get released when its ready.

graabein
April 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Just got out of the shower. Thought I could start downloading the torrent before I'm off for work...

BrokeBody
April 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Imagine that in these very last minutes they do what they did with the first LTS... .06 :lolflag:

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
did they do that in the last few minutes? really?

BrokeBody
April 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
They did, but not in the last minutes, but who knows for this one. :D

mj-barton
April 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Its 11:48pm here. I'm pacific standard time over in Seattle.

toxicgtr
April 24th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know if they have made any changes from the release candiate to the final?

calc
April 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM

You could have just downloaded one of the last daily's then rsync'ed it to the current version. Probably would only download a few bytes if anything.

calc
April 24th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Does anyone know if they have made any changes from the release candiate to the final?

Yes, lots of changes.

Jaywalker2309
April 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Yes, lots of changes.

That a guess or is there a link with changenotes?

calc
April 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM
That a guess or is there a link with changenotes?

An easy way to tell what was updated is install the RC and then update from there you will probably get several hundred MB of updates.

I maintain openoffice.org so I know at minimum it was updated...

B3n3v3nt3
April 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
9 am here in Lisbon, I hope it will be available soon so that I can download it at my university and try it right away when I get home ^^

Have a nice day everyone.

adityakavoor
April 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
You could have just downloaded one of the last daily's then rsync'ed it to the current version. Probably would only download a few bytes if anything.

I promised to give a copy to my friends tonight

Jaywalker2309
April 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I promised to give a copy to my friends tonight

Hehe never promise something if you're not 100% responsible for it. You cant be sure whats gonna happen :)

spamzilla
April 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM
As I said earlier

patience

pa·tience [ páysh'nss ]

noun
Definition:

Ub1476
April 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I think Gutsy was released around 6pm in my timezone (+1). It's now 11.09am.

Rabindranath
April 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
It seems Hardy is released. :guitar:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/

quanumphaze
April 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
And right on time for the ANZAC Day long weekend

Best timing ever :guitar:

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Well, mine is taking a few more hours to download, but I figure as long as it hasn't started the installation bit it's safe to use the machine.

So yeah, this is going to be pretty awesome.

Now back to studying for me.
:guitar:

BrokeBody
April 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I guess I hit the jackpot :)
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2402/slowxl6.png

:cool:

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Since Im fully patched and upgraded, Do I need to bother with anything , would a dist upgrade help? sudo apt-get dist-upgrade?

zmjjmz
April 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
When does Update Manager tell me it's time to upgrade?

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I have received no updates or anything through Sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or anything..Im fully patched..What else can i try?

Foster Grant
April 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
@sox fan Matt and zmjjmz: You might want to check your repository locations and add some repositories that are updated more frequently.

I also suggest using Update Manager rather than apt-get or Synaptic. UM is already telling me 8.04 is available. It won't put the orange icon in the notification area, though; you have to load it.

(I'm going to wait a bit, so everybody else can deal with unfound bugs and I can take advantage of their blood, sweat and sacrifice. :D )

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Which ones can I add? which ones do you have?

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Im running 8.04, and have been for awhile. My question is there are no updates to the programs in 8.04 as others have observed too..Sorry if I was confusing

Foster Grant
April 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Im running 8.04, and have been for awhile. My question is there are no updates to the programs in 8.04 as others have observed too..Sorry if I was confusing

Your computer probably updated yesterday when the RC was frozen and went gold.