PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Removing Evolution

Foster Grant
April 24th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Not really an installation or an upgrade, but removal is the flip side of that coin so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

The short version is this: I'm a longtime Thunderbird/Lightning user. I tried Evolution for a week and found that it's not as much to my liking as Thunderbird/Lightning and I don't need the groupware tools. I'd like to take Evolution out, but when I try to remove some of the extra Evolution pieces I'm told I can't do it without removing gnome-desktop. For obvious reasons, this sounds like a bad idea.

How much of Evolution (and which components in particular) can I safely remove without corrupting my Gutsy/GNOME installation?

Thanks in advance. :)

justin whitaker
April 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Not really an installation or an upgrade, but removal is the flip side of that coin so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

The short version is this: I'm a longtime Thunderbird/Lightning user. I tried Evolution for a week and found that it's not as much to my liking as Thunderbird/Lightning and I don't need the groupware tools. I'd like to take Evolution out, but when I try to remove some of the extra Evolution pieces I'm told I can't do it without removing gnome-desktop. For obvious reasons, this sounds like a bad idea.

How much of Evolution (and which components in particular) can I safely remove without corrupting my Gutsy/GNOME installation?

Thanks in advance. :)

Is it trying to dump GNOME-Desktop-Data, or GNOME Desktop Environment?

Foster Grant
April 24th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I apologize; bad error code. (I was working from memory; damn senility setting in! :D )

Attempting to remove evolution-webcal makes Synaptic offer to remove ubuntu-desktop.

Ghostlove
April 27th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Use Synaptic Package Manager to remove Evolution. It's one of the first things I remove after a fresh install and this hasn't failed yet. :)

CREEPING DEATH
April 27th, 2008, 12:52 AM
It's just removing a metapackage, not Ubuntu or Gnome. It's OK to do!

CD