PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How well would hardy 8.04 work on my IBM T43?

Lord Xeb
April 24th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Specs:

Pentium M 1.86GHz
1.5 GB of RAM
40GB HDD
X300M ATI GPU

Have any of you experienced any problems with yours? I have tried the beta 1 and it was awefu; (Gnome never ran and it was glitchier than a guy hyped on caffeine).

Vadi
April 24th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I tried it on a T40 and ran quite well.

ymx
April 24th, 2008, 07:29 AM
There's site called thinkwiki which contains detailed information on installing linux on thinkpad laptops including t43.

The site is at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki.

Lord Xeb
April 26th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Been there to try and get HDAPS to work on my t43 in 7.10, but the first step eluded me. I asked for help her and all I got were blank stares... :/ I just wanted to know before I upgraded.

justotech
April 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM
It works perfectly on my T43 and I only have 512MB of RAM. The rest of the specs are identical. The only issue I've had is with Wubi but that's not a problem with hardware, it's my own fault and I fixed it.

The restricted drivers for the video card help a lot since they're made by ATI. You shouldn't run into any kind of a hardware or driver problem. My company uses nothing but T43s and T61s and none of us have run into any kind of problems with 8.04 or 7.10. Currently, 12 people in our IT department are using one or the other.

justotech
April 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I tried it on a T40 and ran quite well.

I can't get all of compiz to work with mine. It won't spin the cube. :( I can do without that, though. It's a major resource hog.

Vadi
April 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
By default that's not enabled, see this guide (click (http://forlong.blogage.de/article/2007/8/29/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion#comments)) on how to set it up. Should get the cube after, and it's not much of a resource hog at all :)

justotech
April 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
By default that's not enabled, see this guide (click (http://forlong.blogage.de/article/2007/8/29/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion#comments)) on how to set it up. Should get the cube after, and it's not much of a resource hog at all :)

It was with KDE. I've never tried it with Gnome. I'm still not too worried about it, I'll play with that later.:popcorn:

Lord Xeb
April 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Does KDE look like windows' GUI? Because Gnome is the same interface most if not all Macs use.

justotech
April 28th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Does KDE look like windows' GUI? Because Gnome is the same interface most if not all Macs use.

KDE is a little closer to the Windows XP interface but, it's not my preference.

Gnome would be my choice as of now. It's very, very close to Mac OSX. I'm convinced that OSX is really nothing but BSD running Gnome. My suggestion is to download both Ubuntu and Kubuntu and play with both from Live CD and figure out which one you like.

arandall
April 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM
have you had any trouble with wireless? My wireless is really slow for some reason since I installed Ubuntu on my T43..

RickL66
April 30th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Not a T43 but I have a T23 with build-in wireless card and 8.04 does not even work. It worked fine in 7.10. Hmm...