PDA

View Full Version : Why does this compile in Windows, but not Linux???

williamburn
April 24th, 2008, 04:07 AM
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;
string yell = "a dragon is coming, take cover!!!";

int main (void)

{
cout<< yell.c_str() <<endl
<< yell.c_str() <<endl
<< yell.c_str() <<endl
<< yell.c_str() <<endl;

return 0;

}

When i perform my gcc ---

$gcc townCrier.cpp -o townCrier

I get a ton of errors. Do you think it is possible that my gcc compiler cannot properly find the libraries? Let me preface my question with these are examples that I am working through c++ for the absolute beginner. I know, but its the only way i have been able to figure out this c++ thing.

I have ensured that my buildessential is up to date as well. Any help would be much appreciated as I really dont want to work in windows to learn programming.

Thanks in advance.

jcwmoore
April 24th, 2008, 04:19 AM
try g++,

gcc is the C compiler, g++ is the c++ compiler.

EDIT: i tried your program it worked as expected with g++

tseliot
April 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Try compiling it in this way:

g++ -ansi -pedantic -Wall townCrier.cpp -o townCrier

williamburn
April 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I am going to try the g++ compiler. I should have known better and posted the compiler errors. I thought perhaps the linux c++ syntax may have differed from the windows syntax.

I will also try the other compiler.

Thank you. stay tuned for round two.

williamburn
April 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Boy, do i feel like a turkey, i was using the wrong compiler. I was must have gotten my articles mixed up, but my output now works as it should be.

Thanks for the quick replys. I knew it was something easy, and obviously user error.

JupiterV2
April 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
It's not necessary to use the c_str() member function of a string to output it to standard out:

cout<< yell.c_str() <<endl

Instead, you can simply output the string directly to the output stream.

cout << yell << endl;

If your string isn't going to change or be modified, it is always good practice to define it as const to prevent accidentally changing it:

const string yell = "a dragon is coming, take cover!!!";

Just some helpful pointers.

Also, its always a good idea to use the CODE or PHP tags around code as in the above examples to make it more readable and distinguishable.