PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should i give up on wireless?

Greenbean209
April 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Well ive posted alot of wireless questions with either no replys or some kinda helpful answers but just wouldn't work out for me thanks anyway to anybody that talked to me. Anyways i think my whole wirless situation is going nowhere. So im wondering if i should get a real long ethernet cable to connect up to my router.My computer is just in the next room so i could get by with like a 20 foot cable. So would it be worth it to just leave behind my WiFi troubles and instead get wired?
Also a side question: Is a patch cable the same as a ethernet cable?

Manzabar
April 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Wired connections are easier to configure, support faster speeds and aren't as easy for unwanted users to access.

Wireless connections free you from the cable, allowing you to work from anywhere you can get a signal.

Both have their advantages but my preference is to always use wired when available.

Lord Xeb
April 24th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Yes, a patch is different from and ethernet cable. A patch is used to "Patch" systems together or connect systems. An ethernet is used for connect to the web,routers, etc...

Also, what is your delimma with your wireless? I may be able to help, but I am not promising anything either.

Greenbean209
April 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Ah my problem is that... well all arounf the wireless isn't working with my ubuntu system and ive tried alot of things. I'm not sure whats wrong but i can tell you the symptoms. Able to connect but the bars drop randomly(ive varrified that its not a reception problem), If i disconnect i can't use the wireless unlees i reboot and sometimes that doesn't work. so yah i just dont know what to do with that.

Oh yah and about the cable situation, this is a cable im considering, http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/360979/Pro-Series-Category-5-Patch-Cable/ I looked over it and i think it could sufice for ethernet.

Oh yah and could anybody tell me a good place to get a really big ethernet cable 20 foot would work but a prefer a 50 foot

ABX323
April 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Oh yah and could anybody tell me a good place to get a really big ethernet cable 20 foot would work but a prefer a 50 foot

Category 5 Ethernet straight-through cables can easily reach 100 feet before attenuation becomes an issue.
You can get them off ebay, newegg, amazon, etc...
A cheap one like tripp-light or a no name will work fine.

This is 25 ft cat5E for $9 w/ shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812105306

Junglizer
April 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
If wired would work that would be your best bet, linux or not. It's currently more secure, stable, and faster to use just 10/100 ethernet then a wireless connection. CSMA/CD has way less overhead (hence the collison detection) then CSMA/CA, so when you're connected via a 802.11g card your maximum throughput (OFDM w/o RTS/CTS, aka prime conditions) will only be around 30mbps.