PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] prep for upgrading

SurlyDune
April 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I've only been using ubuntu for about a month now and i love it, but i'm still really new to it. I was wondering what i should do in prep for upgrading to 8.04 and can i keep the same custom theme, grub, buttons ect. Also is it just easier to do a clean install? And what about all of the codecs i've installed will those transfer or are they useless now and if they are how can i clear off all of the stuff that wont transfer?

Pumalite
April 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Better a clean install.

mgmiller
April 25th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Although Pumalite's answer is the stock answer for any OS upgrade, I can tell you I have done a lot of ubuntu upgrades.

Look at my signature line and I can tell you I am looking forward to adding > 8.04 to the end of it.

If you are using the video drivers from the official repos, and a minimum of 3rd party stuff, you will probably have a good upgrade experience.

The last 2 upgrades for me were not much more involved than a regular update, they just took longer.

Your mileage may vary, as they say, but if it does get all borked up, you can just do a clean install anyway. If not, then you have all your programs and settings intact and away you go.

Remember to back up all your important stuff first, no matter which way you do it.

grannyw
April 25th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Better a clean install.
+1