PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Choppy video in Hardy RC

gfahey
April 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Installed today and hats off for the easy wifi setup!

Dell Vostro 1000 ATI Xpress and 2GB (Gnome)

Everything else is great but...

Watching video with any media player (be it VLC, M PLayer, anything) is awful. It's viewable but, the video looks a bit pixelated and is choppy as well. I am using the ATI restricted driver. This is odd since Gutsy didn't do this. This happen whether Compiz is off or on (I sometimes use it in the halfway settings). Yes, this is no video demon laptop but again, Gutsy would allow excellent video playback.

Apart from the Error 29 with GoogleEarth (man, GoogleEarth has always been a PIA with Ubuntu).

Any help appreciated on this and again I say Thank You to all at Ubuntu!!

apastuszak
April 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Installed today and hats off for the easy wifi setup!

Dell Vostro 1000 ATI Xpress and 2GB (Gnome)

Everything else is great but...

Watching video with any media player (be it VLC, M PLayer, anything) is awful. It's viewable but, the video looks a bit pixelated and is choppy as well. I am using the ATI restricted driver. This is odd since Gutsy didn't do this. This happen whether Compiz is off or on (I sometimes use it in the halfway settings). Yes, this is no video demon laptop but again, Gutsy would allow excellent video playback.

Apart from the Error 29 with GoogleEarth (man, GoogleEarth has always been a PIA with Ubuntu).

Any help appreciated on this and again I say Thank You to all at Ubuntu!!

Try turning off desktop effects

gfahey
April 24th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Try turning off desktop effects

Maybe I was unclear, it happens with or without desktop effects enabled.

Antillean
August 25th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I'm having a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron 6400. I have an ATI Radeon Mobility x1400 and I'm also using the restricted drivers. It affects both totem and VLC media player. It's worst with flv files, but it also affects every video type I've tried.

Antillean
August 25th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Nevermind.