PDA

View Full Version : Features you are looking forward to in Hardy.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I think I'm excited about the 64 bit dynticks support in the new Kernal, the new Xorg (I've had weird experiences plugging into a projector), the world clock Applet, and I'm curious to see how support may improve for my multi-button mouse. I'm not really sure what to expect out of the new GNOME.

What is everyone else excited about?

madjr
April 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM
i really just want less bugs, more stability and speed.

everything working out of the box.

hardy does have many bugs, but feels more stable than gutsy.

wersdaluv
April 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Have my webcam working :)

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
My webcam works in rc, for that I am glad. I am awaiting a more stable kde 4 with ubuntu.

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
NetworkManager 7.0, although it won't be included in the release it was impossible to build in gutsy.

myusername
April 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM
stability and the fact that im up to date :)

Rabindranath
April 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Pulse Audio with the ability to change the volume for each application. :)

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Pulse Audio with the ability to change the volume for each application. :)
Good luck with that. I'm back on ALSA for the sake of my sanity.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Have my webcam working :)

Mine works but I think only in Cheese. I haven't really spent that much time trying to get it working.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM

It's not working well?

My Pavilion has built in stereo microphones but I haven't gotten them working yet. That's something else that I haven't put that much work into yet. I wonder is Pulse or the new update in general recognises them.

Washer
April 24th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Compiz on my laptop. Gutsy has some weird ATI bug that's supposed to have been fixed. I didn't feel like manually fixing it.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM
i really just want less bugs, more stability and speed.

everything working out of the box.

hardy does have many bugs, but feels more stable than gutsy.

Gutsy feels generally stable. Sometimes things hang but I attribute that to the applications themselves. My biggest complaint are settings sometimes not being retained when I reboot, like the 'resize windows' option in 'Advanced Desktop Effects Settings' or other boxes in there mysteriously becoming checked or unchecked. Also I find that sometimes when I reboot the compiz window manager doesn't load properly, so I have to go up to the little Beryl ruby and select 'reload window manager'. It's kind of annoying when that stuff flakes out when I'm trying to show off how cool Ubuntu is.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Pulse audio has worked fine for me since alpha 5 when I started using Hardy

locky28
April 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM
-New Xorg fixing up problems when I plug in a monitor/projector to my Laptop
-PulseAudio hopefully getting my mic working
-Hopefully not as much trouble to get sleep working properly
-Better webcam support
-Restoring files from trash (Did this get fixed?)

Dunno what else, I haven't used RC's or beta so I dunno what to expect.

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Pulse audio has worked fine for me since alpha 5 when I started using Hardy
Anecdotal stories of success don't really make PulseAudio quit stuttering when I dare to do something as risky as switching windows. (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=726187 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/218532)

SupaSonic
April 24th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Yeah, pulseaudio has been a major failure for me as well. I wish there would be an easy option to turn it off. Whenever I try to remove pusleaudio, apt tries to take down ubuntu-desktop with it. Extremely frustrating.

GavinZac
April 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, pulseaudio has been a major failure for me as well. I wish there would be an easy option to turn it off. Whenever I try to remove pusleaudio, apt tries to take down ubuntu-desktop with it. Extremely frustrating.

"ubuntu-desktop" isn't the ubuntu desktop, it is "ubuntu desktop edition". when you remove an application that is part of ubuntu desktop edition, you no longer have ubuntu desktop edition, you have your own setup. Its ok to remove ubuntu-desktop; its just a tag, a meta-package that doesn't actually do very much :)