PDA

View Full Version : 100% linux

LausArndon
April 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I haven't been using linux for all that long, but I think I'm just about ready to kick Windows off my PC for good. I just had to say that. I'm getting pretty excited.

Cifra
April 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I've been using Linux since 2001 and I still dual-boot. Sometimes you just need XP for a few aps which don't run, and in my opinion, letting XP have those 5 gb of space and a little boot entry on the bottom of my GRUB menu doesn't hurt at all.

frup
April 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I've been using Linux since late 2005 and the whole time I have been using only Linux. In my opinion anything other than games that could require a dual boot can be achieved by a virtual machine.

Tatty
April 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I've been using Linux since 2001 and I still dual-boot. Sometimes you just need XP for a few aps which don't run, and in my opinion, letting XP have those 5 gb of space and a little boot entry on the bottom of my GRUB menu doesn't hurt at all.

+1

I advise to dual boot, from experience i can say you will probably be kicking yourself that one time you really need to use a windows application which wont run in wine.

Nothing wrong with having windows installed, you have paid for it already so why not? :popcorn:

Cifra
April 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
It's not just games, you know. What about professional video editing software, and pro audio programs? It's stil a big problem.

LausArndon
April 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Practically all the programs I use in Windows have a linux version, or an easy replacement. I haven't booted to Windows in weeks, but I'm still going to wait a bit longer to make sure I'm good. If I don't feel comfortable without it I may just use VirtualBox.

frup
April 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
It's not just games, you know. What about professional video editing software, and pro audio programs? It's stil a big problem.

And really who has thousands to spend on those? Piracy is the biggest hurdle to Open Source adoption.

LausArndon
April 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yea, I admit I did a lot of pirating. There's no way I'm spending all that money on Photoshop, AutoCAD, or even Windows for that matter. I've honestly never had a legal copy of Windows.

Tim Sharitt
April 24th, 2008, 02:00 AM

I had the same philosophy when I had XP, but when my new laptop came with vista, I realized it didn't deserve the 10 gb and boot entry. Windows free for two months now!

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Yea, I admit I did a lot of pirating. There's no way I'm spending all that money on Photoshop, AutoCAD, or even Windows for that matter. I've honestly never had a legal copy of Windows.

wonderful.

LausArndon
April 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I had the same philosophy when I had XP, but when my new laptop came with vista, I realized it didn't deserve the 10 gb and boot entry. Windows free for two months now!

I've used Vista once in my life and I think I've decided it's the anti-christ.

diskotek
April 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I've used Vista once in my life and I think I've decided it's the anti-christ.

i'm %80 linux :(

Joeb454
April 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I use Linux aro around 95-98% of the time. Having said that I am writing this from XP, and I am about to install Vista.

THEN I will install Ubuntu with the largest amount of space :D I use XP for games, Vista for Office 07 (Uni) and iTunes. Ubuntu for everything else :)

Cifra
April 24th, 2008, 06:00 AM
And really who has thousands to spend on those?
It's not thousands, and I actually buy that stuff.

Saya
April 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM
And really who has thousands to spend on those?
They're products aimed at those who do have the thousands to spend on them. Adobe Premiere and Photoshop aren't meant for your vacation videos and photos but professionals. For home users there's alternatives like Elements. And Windows really isn't expensive. You get what you pay for. Windows XP is cheaper than Ubuntu + support.

colorcol
April 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM
just beacuse ubuntu release a new version?
i have dual os and i won't del anyone of them.

StOoZ
April 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I use windows in a virtual machine (windows 2000)
running only ubuntu linux, no windows.

reyfer
April 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I run WinXP on virtualbox, just because I do some videoconferencing with MSN for my work. For everything else, I use Kubuntu

SoulinEther
April 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
They're products aimed at those who do have the thousands to spend on them. Adobe Premiere and Photoshop aren't meant for your vacation videos and photos but professionals. For home users there's alternatives like Elements.

I don't think you can disagree though that more than just the people who have the thousands to spend on them, or the "professionals" (the only ones who would risk that much money on a piece of software), can benefit from them, though.

Meh, since I switched over, Cinelerra and GIMP tend to work great for me. I've never used Premiere, but I can't say the same for Photoshop. The GIMP is not a perfect drop-in replacement, but... it's like shifting from four 1x4 blocks to four 2x2 blocks in tetris: they are both a means to the same end, but the exact method of getting there is different, and in some cases Photoshop allows you to be more versatile while GIMP in other cases is more versatile (though often I have to do more work to achieve similar effects, but that's ok - it gives me more control over what is going on).

Cinelerra, however... heh, I use Final Cut Pro in school and I've used Vegas. While I can say it's probably easier than Vegas in many ways... it's more complicated than FCP in several ways.

But in regards to the OP's comments: unless you have a burning need for a few windows apps, or if you don't have any free time to get things running on Ubuntu as you would like (because some things will probably need tweaking at some point), feel free to liberate yourself (and let's not forget your computer!) from Microsoft. ...well, at least, to some degree: you still might access Windows-powered computers or something in the internets, so, you can only be so liberated.

karellen
April 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
And really who has thousands to spend on those? Piracy is the biggest hurdle to Open Source adoption.

+1 for this

quanumphaze
April 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I plan to go 100% when I install Hardy.

I have been using Ubuntu since I installed it in November 07 and only booted into Windows twice. It's just wasting 25 GB on my li'l 60 GB HDD + 5 for the useless "recovery partition" they burden us with these days.

A virtual machine is enough for any programs I might have to use for uni

BigSilly
April 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I made the switch completely with Feisty Fawn, and I haven't looked back. For me, it simply wasn't worth keeping Windows around for the few games I had. I've been dual booting Linux since and I'm so glad I did it. It's been a fantastic experience, and a new Linux is something I get genuinely excited about. Downloading 8.04 now, and I can't wait to play!

Of course it's not so easy for everyone, but I really feel lucky that I am in a position to be able to use Linux solely, and very happy that I can use it quite comfortably.

LausArndon
April 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM
But in regards to the OP's comments: unless you have a burning need for a few windows apps, or if you don't have any free time to get things running on Ubuntu as you would like (because some things will probably need tweaking at some point), feel free to liberate yourself (and let's not forget your computer!) from Microsoft. ...well, at least, to some degree: you still might access Windows-powered computers or something in the internets, so, you can only be so liberated.

That is unfortunate. Linux seems to be slowly spreading though. I'm starting to see more businesses running with linux as opposed Windows.

As for the multimedia programs go, I don't use them so often. I was able to install Photoshop CS2 with little difficulty, and I have no need for video editing. If I can ever get Cedega to work I'd be good. The very few programs I seldom use that have to run on Windows can easily be run on Virtualbox.

andrewbrown22
April 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I am switching from Vista to Hardy on my laptop, my primary PC. I won't get rid of XP on my desktop simply because of using iTunes to sync my iPod.. I do think that I'll dual boot a copy of XP with Hardy, after reading this thread.

Ghil
April 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I've switched completely when Mandrake Linux 7.1 got out (it was in 2000). I've installed XP a couple of times, and even Vista once, to try again, but never liked it (way too complicated for me -_-')

So 8 years later...I've made the right choice. I am still a Linux fan ;)

pwarning
April 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
If I could get Tivo's desktop software to work under Ubuntu I'd be done with Windows XP.

MindFlayer
April 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Going 100% as soon as FireDTV's Linux drivers (http://forum.digital-everywhere.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13&start=0) are available.

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
If I could get Tivo's desktop software to work under Ubuntu I'd be done with Windows XP.

if you have a good amount of RAM, you could virtualize XP. at least it'd save you from dual booting.

arashiko28
April 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I started to use Linux, Ubuntu specifically, last year with the 7.04. And ever since I haven't used Windows again for nothing more than a few presentations while I learned to use the Ubuntu resolutions. Now I can edit videos, convert them from swf to .avi or .mpeg for my mp4 player. Or convert them to DVD format so that any DVD can play the video, also can change resolution and add titles or captions, things that I used to do with NERO on Windows, so I don't understand about professional video editing if all of that can be done, also can cut a part a join with other, if that's not editing, I don't know then, that's just my hobby with family videos. But back to the subject, I will delete that 30 GB windows partition that have waisted and install windows through a virtual machine. I plan to eventually delete it at all.:guitar: BTW, I love the guitar tuners of Linux!

Fedz
April 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I just run Ubuntu and have done for quite some time now ...

I was brought up on Windows and I'm nearly 40 years-old.

It all depends on your philosophy but, windows isn't all that and bag of chips :D

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
recently removed Vista from my system then i went about formating all my drivers from NTFS to ext3.. hence for the fisrt time in my life i would be running a system without any MS technology.... and tell u what i dont miss i thing.... when u are new to Ubuntu .. u still have this feeling that a computer Must have windows installed .. but as time goes on .. ur need for it would be less and less.that is when u would finally put ur un-used window partition out of its misery.4 Good

chris4585
April 24th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I've been using Linux since late 2005 and the whole time I have been using only Linux. In my opinion anything other than games that could require a dual boot can be achieved by a virtual machine.

you sure got that right :guitar:

AndyCooll
April 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Different people have different requirements, and hence what you choose to do with your copy of Windows is likely to be dictated by differing factors.

Some people are big gamers for which the games they plat simply don't have a Linux equivalent ...they have no choice but to dual-boot. Others require certain Windows apps for their work (again, for which there aren't suitable Linux alternatives). These apps might be able to run fine when running Windows in a virtual environment.

And then there are those who have Windows apps that run fine under Wine or for whom the Linux alternatives are perfectly ok.
For these people there really isn't any need to keep Windows and moving to a Linux only box might well be a logical next step.

I have one Windows game that I play ...thankfully it runs fine under Wine. And my wife's needs are minimal (Internet, e-mail, music). So the laptops and pc's in this household have been running Linux only for the last couple of years, and we haven't missed Windows at all.

However it really isn't as simple as saying "I advise you to keep an XP partition" or alternatively "Go for it ...burn that XP partition". Situations need considering on a case by case basis. Consider where you stand, if you think you have no need for Windows then fine go for it. If there is an app that (for whatever reason) you can't let go of then consider whether you can run it in a virtual environment, or whether you need to continue dual-booting.

:cool:

LausArndon
April 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
And that's why I feel I'm almost ready to switch completely. I don't use anything so extravagant that linux can't handle. The most difficult thing I've had to do was install my printer. That was a bit of a project, but I'm good now.

Windows has only become more and more annoying for me. I didn't want to switch when XP came out, but eventually did. When I saw what Vista was, I knew I had to get the hell away before any virus of an OS like that was installed on my PC.