PDA

View Full Version : another idiot question

sweeneytodd
April 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
how do i install a progam? have downloaded ubuntustudio, mounted it, and am still fixed on the dark ages in regards to windows .exe deal

petzworld999
April 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
In the top left of the screen, go to Applications, then click Add/Remove. Search for what you want and check it off. It's that easy.

sweeneytodd
April 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
that installed ubuntu launcher but i have the image munted in my documents so do i need to find it through add/remove programs, can't i install it from inside the image

amazingtaters
April 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Well first off, .exe's don't work in Linux they are Window exectuables. However, you will be able to find just about any programme you want by clicking Applications > Add/Remove Programs. It will bring up a nice GUI with descriptions of the programmes and you just click on everything you want, then click the button that says install and the rest is done for you.

Nevermind the above. Do you mean you the Ubuntu iso in your My Documents folder in Windows?

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
that installed ubuntu launcher but i have the image munted in my documents so do i need to find it through add/remove programs, can't i install it from inside the image

I'm a little confused. Have you actually installed Ubuntu yet, or have you just mounted the disk image in Windows?

sweeneytodd
April 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM
i have ubuntu 7.10, downloaded ubuntustudio, iso file, 800mb, with help from forum managed to mount it via termianl to a folder in "documents", now i don't know how to install, it doesn't show up in add/remove gui,

amazingtaters
April 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
i have ubuntu 7.10, downloaded ubuntustudio, iso file, 800mb, with help from forum managed to mount it via termianl to a folder in "documents", now i don't know how to install, it doesn't show up in add/remove gui,

Right, follow this guide here to upgrade from Gutsy to UbuntuStudio.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromGutsy

sweeneytodd
April 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM
yeah, just worked out too that its a completely different operating system, dooh

amazingtaters
April 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
yeah, just worked out too that its a completely different operating system, dooh

Not really that, it's some packages that change some things about ubuntu really, but its kinda like a totally different OS.

sweeneytodd
April 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM
thank you, this forum assures me ubuntu is the best thing since sliced bread

amazingtaters
April 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
thank you, this forum assures me ubuntu is the best thing since sliced bread

Actually no, nothing could be sliced bread. :lolflag: