PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gutsy to Hardy switch -my experience

knavarathna92
April 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
So today I decided to install the Hardy RC, since I like to be on the cutting edge and didn't want to DL when the servers were crowded. I upgraded and when I restarted I had severe lag, caused by the ATI drivers + xgl-server combo that I used to enable advanced desktop effects in gutsy.

After numerous tries to fix the problem, I decided to give up and try a fresh install. Luckily I backed up my data. Everything went well and there was no lag. So far I'm loving hardy but now I absolutely despise the upgrade process (though the problems were probably caused by me in gutsy:lolflag:).

This was my first ubuntu upgrade as Gutsy was my first system and the whole process from a usable gutsy system to a usable hardy sytem took 2 hours. A little more than expected :( but I am very happy with the way Hardy turned out.

Crafty Kisses
April 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Good to hear man and remember the Ubuntu are forums are always here to help.

wuzzerd
April 24th, 2008, 01:39 AM
As an old linux hand I must say this was a flawless upgrade with some pleasant surprises.

1. NOTHING BROKE!

2. my fstab was left as is. Thanks.

3. I was asked what I wanted to do with my /boot/grub/menu.lst file, with a bunch of options. I chose nothing and everything worked.

4. Firefox 3-beta?!? :lolflag: I'd complain except it works with the stuff I want it to work with so yay.

Good job devs.

Belak
April 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Ha ha!
Sorry, the only reason I looked at this topic was bacause I saw "Gutsy to Hardy switch -my..."

I thought it was a bad experiance. Great to here that it worked great!

-Belak

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I also had a very good experience. I used torrents for installing: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html