PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] flash crashing hardy

revelationman
April 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I have both Ubuntu and Opera (shared) when I load a flash youtube the screen goes dark and then the force quit option appears, this really started to happen with Hardy

Do you good folks thing I should just download Hardy and reinstall as fresh install or is this a common problem with Flash and Hardy

Lets hope it is not this is a pain in the backside problem

benerivo
April 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
It shouldn't happen, and it doesn't happen on my hardy. What opera version do you use? I use the latest 9.5 beta from here http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ and flash.so from here http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

revelationman
April 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
I have the version that was listed here
Also Firefox crashes sometimes with Flash
If there is one thing that Ubuntu should not of done with Hardy was include a beta version of Firefox they should of stuck with stable version
I might just have to download hardy and reinstall

Hardy is great but this Flash issue is a pain

Tulsapoke
April 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I don't think this is a FF3 problem. I am still on Gutsy, however I did install FF3 (after reading some good reviews). Firefox 3 beta seems to be more stable than FF2 was. I have completely switched over both my laptop and my desktop to 3 and have seen zero problems flash or otherwise over the last month. I'm running a YouTube video in another tab while writing this just to beat on it some more... no problem.

GreenMeanie
April 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Firefox 8.04 and flash crash in youtube every time.

williambertram
May 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ditto here.

Hardy, Firefox 3 beta 5 (the one installed with the os). Absolutely no modifications made. Fresh install.

Tried installing Adobe Flash Player from Add Remove Programs, crashes youtube every time. *ANY* youtube video. Just click on a few and it will eventually crash, but usually it's on the first one.

Tried copying the .so file to the plugins folder. Still crashes.

Tried all of this on my laptop (Dell Latitude D610) and it still crashes.

Tried on a live CD on my computer at work (New HP, can't recall model) and still crashes.

Tried on my wife's laptop (Latitude C600) still crashes.

Tried Gnash, and the quality was bad. Tried SWF plugin alternative, and it puts a big "Play" button instead of automatically playing the video, which I hate, but might end up using anyway just so it doesn't crash.

This is not specific to Hardy. The Adobe Flash player for Linux was crashy on 6.04 and 7.10 as well. Tried on several computers (Dell and HP models, Intel and AMD processors) and Firefox 2 crashed frequently with the Adobe plugin.

Anyway, Nice distro guys. I'm using Hardy on my main computer and loving it. My wife has even been using it with no complaints (other than YouTube crashing Firefox :)

Zorael
May 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Stick to FF2 for the time being, I'd say.

<open up FF3, clean out cache>
$ sudo aptitude purge firefox firefox-3.0
$ sudo aptitude install firefox-2.0
(optional): $ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firefox-2 /usr/local/bin/firefox

williambertram
May 10th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Well I've figured something out that might help developers in troubleshooting. The Adobe Flash player never crashes any of my systems on FF3 if I pause the playing video before clicking on another. If I just click on a Flash video while one is playing it crashes every time on my main computer and my laptop. This is with Ubuntu installed to the hard drive, not running from a liveCD.

Took another posters advice and back leveled FF to version 2. It's more stable but I can still crash it if I click on ~10 videos without pausing.

May not mean anything, but thought I would post it just in case.

sdowney717
May 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM
used to crash a lot on flash but not anymore.
I am using firefox 3.0b5 adobe flash hardy ati driver.

A couple weeks ago an update came out and it started working for me.

aikiwolfie
June 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Flash 10 works better. But it still crashes.

Odrodzona-Sarmacja
June 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Watching a vid with flash plugin on firefox does freeze my Xubuntu. Then I have to power down my computer to reboot it.