PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NIVIDIA MCP61 sound card suddenly not working

bear garden
April 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Decided to install VirtualBox and a virtual machine (Windows XP) so I could use a specific program for coursework. Sound was working fine, until I rebooted shutdown my computer to leave for class. While I was gone, my girlfriend booted up the system and my graphics card was not detected. When I booted up when I got home, it worked fine, but my sound card was not being detected.

After a bit of searching and trying to figure out what was wrong, I followed the steps in this topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449, which led me to believe everything would work. Seeing the warning about GDM not working after purging/re-installing alsa and the like, I went ahead and

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop
and it installed. I then rebooted, assuming that my computer would boot, and perhaps my sound would work.

My computer didn't get past the usplash screen. I'm now booting from a live CD. My sound card is being recognized and it works, but I can't boot from my HDD. I don't know that if I manage to get my main Ubuntu partition booted up, that my card will even work.

Is this a problem with GDM? Or is it something far worse?

Here's my lshw -C sound from before:

*-multimedia UNCLAIMED
description: Audio device
product: MCP61 High Definition Audio
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:00:05.0
version: a2
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0 maxlatency=5 mingnt=2

And here is the most recent check (from the Live CD):

*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: MCP61 High Definition Audio
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:00:05.0
version: a2
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 maxlatency=5 mingnt=2 module=snd_hda_intel