PDA

View Full Version : A barebone variant?

Ob1
April 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Does there exist an Ubuntu flavour with only the critical components(preferably with the exception of firefox and CLI tools)?

Also does anyone know when the maintainers of the nUbuntu project will upgrade it?

thanks in advance

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Does there exist an Ubuntu flavour with only the critical components(preferably with the exception of firefox and CLI tools)?

Also does anyone know when the maintainers of the nUbuntu project will upgrade it?

thanks in advance

Yes, the alternative disk has the ability to install a base system which you can build on.

If you want an ultra light live disk, that is not the purpose of Ubuntu. Slax, Knoppix and friends are much better for that.

ghindo
April 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think that the Ubuntu alternate install CDs offer a barebone variant, but am not entirely sure.

justin whitaker
April 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM

thanks in advance

LaRoza got the first one, I will get the second:

http://forums.nubuntu.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34

Looks like they are waiting for nUbuntu beta based on 8.04 final.

wannadumpwindows
April 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
There's always the server install cd too. That'll be about as barebones as you can get. Then you can add any packages that you want from there. A word of warning, it's a command line system from the beginning. And you have to add stuff manually until you install a gui. But you can cut out a lot of the unneeded junk that way. Then you'll only have the packages that you specifically want.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
There's always the server install cd too. That'll be about as barebones as you can get. Then you can add any packages that you want from there. A word of warning, it's a command line system from the beginning. And you have to add stuff manually until you install a gui. But you can cut out a lot of the unneeded junk that way. Then you'll only have the packages that you specifically want.

That installs a server. The alternative CD can be used to install a command line system without the server tools.

Ob1
April 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I think that the Ubuntu alternate install CDs offer a barebone variant, but am not entirely sure.

was that not the server install?

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

No. There is an option to "install a command line system". A server is entirely different.

Ob1
April 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
No. There is an option to "install a command line system". A server is entirely different.

thanks, this a new option?

justin whitaker
April 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM

No, it's just the command line. You need to build the system up from there.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
thanks, this a new option?

No, I think it was always on the alternative disk.

gn2
April 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, the alternative disk has the ability to install a base system which you can build on.

I installed using the Xubuntu 8.04 RC Alternate CD recently, after partitioning and creating a user account etc. it just installed the whole lot automatically.

Previously up to 7.10 it had to be re-booted in CLI mode then the GUI added by typing in commands, at which stage specific packages could be selected instead of the xubuntu-desktop metapackage.

Maybe there is such an option in 8.04, but I didn't spot it.
It took me by surprise when I didn't have to issue the command to install the GUI.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I installed using the Xubuntu 8.04 RC Alternate CD recently, after partitioning and creating a user account etc. it just installed the whole lot automatically.

Previously up to 7.10 it had to be re-booted in CLI mode then the GUI added by typing in commands, at which stage specific packages could be selected instead of the xubuntu-desktop metapackage.

Maybe there is such an option in 8.04, but I didn't spot it.
It took me by surprise when I didn't have to issue the command to install the GUI.
The default install is the full distro (GUI's and everything) The option to install a command line system is further down. It may only be on the Ubuntu alt disk, I never used another one.

gn2
April 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
The default install is the full distro (GUI's and everything) The option to install a command line system is further down. It may only be on the Ubuntu alt disk, I never used another one.

I've obviously just failed to notice the option. Doh!
I too only use the Alternate CD, my laptop just can't run the Live CD.
Good that all the different options are still available :)

wannadumpwindows
April 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
That installs a server. The alternative CD can be used to install a command line system without the server tools.

I didn't know that. That's absolutely excellent. It'll save me a lot of work next time. Sorry about that to the OP. Wasn't aware. That is the better option without question. Good lookin out LaRoza!

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
I didn't know that. That's absolutely excellent. It'll save me a lot of work next time. Sorry about that to the OP. Wasn't aware. That is the better option without question. Good lookin out LaRoza!

It is really handy. I set up a computer (actually, several) as CLI only. See my blog for my iBook setup...

wannadumpwindows
April 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah, that would've been nice to know about 5 months ago, I installed 3 with the server cd, and then had to remove all kinds of stuff. I had no idea I could've done it this way.](*,)

chris4585
April 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
installing ubuntu barebones is very handy, I have used it countless times to setup a virtual machine just to mess around with building a system from command line to GUI, pretty fun, good learning experience. I've learned that the only way for myself of course, to learn something is to try and mimic something else, or just build from the ground up. I learned tons about openbox from doing this.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that would've been nice to know about 5 months ago, I installed 3 with the server cd, and then had to remove all kinds of stuff. I had no idea I could've done it this way.](*,)

You should have contacted me sooner ;)

Ob1
April 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Where is the .iso for the alternative CD? the main page only has 7.10 and 6.06

gn2
April 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
If you click on a local mirror, the Alternate CD will be listed

8.04 RC: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc

7.10: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

7.04: http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.04/

wannadumpwindows
April 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
You should have contacted me sooner ;)

Yeah, that's what I get for putting it off . . .