PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Purely KDE

curtiswtaylorjr
April 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I want a system that is solely a KDE default install on top of Ubuntu. What I mean is an install that doesn't come with the 3rd party apps (ex. open office or thunderbird). Instead having Koffice, Kontact, Korganizer, and so on. I feel that this is what KDE is meant to be and the KDE are also pretty good IMHO.

justin whitaker
April 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I want a system that is solely a KDE default install on top of Ubuntu. What I mean is an install that doesn't come with the 3rd party apps (ex. open office or thunderbird). Instead having Koffice, Kontact, Korganizer, and so on. I feel that this is what KDE is meant to be and the KDE are also pretty good IMHO.

Grab an alternate install or a server ISO. Install a command line only system. Use aptitude to install KDE Base, KDE Office, etc.

TenPlus1
April 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Install a basic Ubuntu Server then do:

sudo apt-get install kdesktop

and that should give you a very basic kde installation...

curtiswtaylorjr
April 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
What is the difference between the KDE and Kdesktop packages.

benerivo
April 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
The kde package is only kde apps, but it is a big download full of programs you'll never use like a chemistry utility, some basic point and click game, or something like that. There is no package called kdesktop. If you want pure kde, then kubuntu-desktop will only install kde apps. You will still have open office in the main menu, but there is nothing you can do about that unless you manually remove them from the menu -- but that is only a cosmetic change.

EDIT -Sorry, there is package called kdesktop, but it is very minimal. I don't think it will allow you to log in to a kde desktop. If you want minimal i think i would go for kde-core.

lunarcloud
July 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I am a KDE fanatic, and think that koffice 2 is the bees knees, but kopete is horrible, aging, and light years behind Pidgin.

ChompTheMan
July 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I recommend installing a command line system with the alternate cd, then installing xorg, kde-core, and kdm. This will give you a minimal, but functional, KDE. You can then proceed to install whatever apps you prefer, while having a KDE more closer to the original KDE as opposed to Kubuntu's modified version of the KDE(why hide Kcontrol?).