PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Idiot newbie question.

iforgot123456
April 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm brand new (12 hours or less) to kubuntu and linux. I'm having a bit of trouble getting kubuntu to recognise the wireless card (IPN2220) on the old laptop (Acer travelmate 2300) I'm using.

I've followed this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/ipn2220?highlight=%28WifiDocs%2FDevice%29

And from what I can tell - using the command

sudo ndiswrapper -l

the driver is installed and the device recognised. I however get no wireless options in the Knetwork manager menu. Hope somebody can shed some light.

Thanks

iforgot

StefAndrew
April 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
I don't know if this will help you out, but my wireless on my Dell laptop refuses to work unless I disable IPV6. You can do so by editing the ALIASES file in the /etc/modprobe.d folder. I'm not familiar with how to edit the file in Kubuntu, but in Ubuntu I run "sudo gedit" from the command line on the file, /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and then look for this line:

Alias net-pf-10 ipv6
[/qote]

And change it to:

[quote]
Alias net-pf-10 off

I don't know if that will help, but I have to do that everytime I have to reinstall.

Zralou
April 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not familiar with how to edit the file in Kubuntu, but in Ubuntu I run "sudo gedit"

In KDE it's "kdesu kate".

Sara Lou

Seisen
April 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm brand new (12 hours or less) to kubuntu and linux. I'm having a bit of trouble getting kubuntu to recognise the wireless card (IPN2220) on the old laptop (Acer travelmate 2300) I'm using.

I've followed this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/ipn2220?highlight=%28WifiDocs%2FDevice%29

And from what I can tell - using the command

sudo ndiswrapper -l

the driver is installed and the device recognised. I however get no wireless options in the Knetwork manager menu. Hope somebody can shed some light.

Thanks

iforgot

Did you do sudo modprobe ndiswrapper after that?

iforgot123456
April 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I did, but it appeared that nothing happened - it asked for my password and then I was presented with a new command line.

iforgot123456
April 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ok I've just redone the modprobe command - and undone my changes to ipv6 - and it appears to be working - but not detecting my network - how do I get it to detect a WPA network?

(Thanks for your help btw)

iforgot123456
April 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Ok Knetwork acknowledged briefly that I had a wireless card, but no longer does - even after a repeat "sudo ndiswrapper modprobe"