PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I prevent MusicPlayer from opening automatically when I insert a CD?

tubegeek
April 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
I usually insert CDs to rip them to my hard drive and I use Rubyripper to do this. How do I turn off the default behavior of opening MusicPlayer whenever an audio CD is inserted?

I'm on 8.04 LTS, all updates as of this AM are installed.

Thanks!

gg234
April 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
try this http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-turn-off-auto-play-of-cdsdvds-and-ipods-in-ubuntu.html

tubegeek
April 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I wish!

The new control panel in 8.04 has ONLY these tabs: Cameras, PDAs, Printers & Scanners, Input devices. There is no tab (or entry on one of those tabs) for CDs!

Thanks for trying, though!

angol
April 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I second that question - I would really love to know how to have gtkpod open automatically instead of rhythm box but now I have upgraded to hardy (perhaps too soon?) - no multimedia tab in 'removable devices' ...if anyone knows how please put us out of our misery! :-)

tubegeek
April 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Found it!

From the Places menu item, select any choice. This will open a Nautilus file browser. Next select Edit>Preferences. A popup window titled File Management Preferences will open. Click the Media tab. For CD Audio you will have a drop-down box with some choices of behaviors. Select the one you want. (Mine was "Do nothing."

Done!

Maybe you will have to configure your media player as a Preferred Application from that other tool, (System>Preferences>Preferred Applications, select Multimedia tab, set Multimedia Player to Custom and add the terminal command for gtkpod) before it will become one of the drop-down choices, I dunno. I didn't bother, I just made a desktop launcher for Rubyripper.