PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Hard Time with Xubuntu 7.10 PPC on G3 B&W

toyota_f1
April 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm constantly getting the Xserver failed to load due to an issue with loading read-edid.

I cannot install read-edid as it give me an issue with the repositories

Could not resolve 'ports.ubuntu.com'

Any ideas? I'd really like to get this old beast running something again (OS X works but is way to slow, OS9 has attrocious browser support).

Thanks!

Isaac

stream303
April 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm the last guy on earth to recommend just "switching" to the latest version of Ubuntu, but with Hardy-Release only hours away, and considering the amount of trouble Gutsy has been for some, I'd say try Hardy RC at this point or wait a couple of hours.

The amount of time spent getting Gutsy to work with it's known issues would be better spent working on any Hardy weirdness. :)

It makes me cringe to write this, but I'll make an exception since Hardy is about to pop!

And it looks like the transition from the main archive for ppc to the ports archive has finally been achieved, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ports repository goes down or gets overloaded sometimes - usually just when you want to install. :)

stream303
April 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
As a reminder, if that B&W has a new hard drive in it larger than 128gb, you may be limited to a 128gb partitioning limit unless you upgrade the firmware:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/index-powermac-g3.html

Are you using the original HD?

(ah, forget everything I just said - looks like you were able to get OSX on it, so you should be cool...)