PDA

View Full Version : I'm Building A Tablet!!! Wanna help?

CheshireMac
April 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hey folks. I've decided to take on the task of building my own Tablet PC from scratch, with new parts. I have the concept, but I was hoping for some input on what sort of hardware I should be getting.
Here's the dream: I want to buy a 9-12" touch screen (there are a lot for sale), and build a very lightweight board under it, including wireless, sound, and a decent storage size.
I have no idea what sort of board I should get, and I'm still not sure about when Ubuntu Mobile will be released. I'm hoping to get some help in building a system with compatible architecture for that platform. It's touch-based, so I shouldn't have a problem in that department, right?
The other issue I'm worried about is cooling. I think I want to build the case out of aluminum, and I have the means to do this, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. I figure it's a great cooling system, but is it necessary? My other concept was for a carbon case, which I also have the means for . . .this would allow me to make a decent venting system. Another idea was to mount a cooling plate inside the case, under the machine itself. Then I could just vent that.
These are just my ideas, though. Any input would be fantastic, and I appreciate it.

madjr
April 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
mini-itx?

how much u think all this will cost?

CheshireMac
April 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
mini-itx?

how much u think all this will cost?

I reckon when I'm done, it'll cost me about 1500 Ca$
Mini-Itx?