PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Passwordless ssh without a key

Dooley
April 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone might know how to create an automated passwordless ssh connection, without using keys. The server I'm connecting to doesn't allow the use of ssh keys because they aren't entirely secure. So I'm looking for a way around this.

Thanks!

DrCoolSanta
April 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
isn't the command
ssh server
enough?

Dooley
April 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
You still need to put in a password, which isn't much use when I want to automate the ssh connection.
I want it to run in a cron job.

DrCoolSanta
April 24th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Its not safe anymore, but if you have access to the server physically, you could set up RSh and create a file ~/.rhosts with the host and the user and his password fo paswordless access.

kevdog
April 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
There is a way to run a script that actually answers questions (if you know the questions beforehand) at the command line. For example, it would be possible to write a ftp or ssh login script, where the script could pass the username and password to the login prompt since it would only send these parameters after being prompted. There was a post about this about 3 months ago. For the life of me I can't find the post and I dont remember the bash scripting command that you type in the script that enables this feature. Perhaps a thorough search of the forums or asking LaRoza since he is really good at scripting would help. This way ssh would be much more secure than running it wide open.

DrCoolSanta
April 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
if you can do that, you just have to write

#!/bin/sh
ssh server -l login
password

in a file with executable permissions like 755

Wim Sturkenboom
April 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
The server I'm connecting to doesn't allow the use of ssh keys because they aren't entirely secure.

Just out of curiosity:
Do you have any reasoning or explanation for that?

Patsoe
April 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Uhm, passwordless without a key = no authentication at all!
Or am I missing something?

DrCoolSanta
April 26th, 2008, 05:20 AM
You are not, that's what I tried to tell him earlier.

encompass
April 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM
ssh is pretty dang secure. And there is no way to really do an ssh connection without keys. (They are used to encrypt your conversation) With out them, you might as when tell the whole world your password and ever peice of information to eager crackers.
If your IT department tells you ssh keys are not secure, they are nuts.
I won't tell you a solution for something like that even if I knew it. It's not morally right to let someone do so. sorry

Zack McCool
April 26th, 2008, 05:30 AM
The server I'm connecting to doesn't allow the use of ssh keys because they aren't entirely secure.

Huh?

Patsoe
April 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
If your IT department tells you ssh keys are not secure, they are nuts.

Hehe, actually the computing information pages where I work also say something like this: "We do not support RSA-only as this is equivalent to having a password stored in a file."

...which is true if you don't trust your users' home machines. But then, really why would you trust them with remote login if you don't trust their machines?

Dooley
April 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry the admin of the unix server im running stated that using public-private keys to access the server without using a password.

I however disagree but what can you do.

I was looking for an alternative to this, i'll give what was suggested a go.

Thanks!

Dooley
April 26th, 2008, 03:46 PM
if you can do that, you just have to write

in a file with executable permissions like 755

I don't think this approach would work, ssh doesn't take arguments through STDIN.

Monicker
April 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hrmm. I'm still confused. RSA keys can be secure or insecure. I know people who have used key authentication without any password on the keys.

With a strong password on the keys, I don't see how you can say RSA key authentication is not secure. Somebody would have to have the appropriate key and also know the password to use that key.

Oh well.......

Dooley
April 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
To be honest, I'm sure most would know more about this than myself.
If there no real solution to this I'll try bug the admin a bit more.
:D

Patsoe
April 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
To be honest, I'm sure most would know more about this than myself.
If there no real solution to this I'll try bug the admin a bit more.
:D

Sounds like the most secure solution :)
You could ask him to configure ssh so that the shell only allows the commands that your scripts need to run, and nothing else.

DrCoolSanta
April 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I don't think this approach would work, ssh doesn't take arguments through STDIN.
Well I had the idea that it wouldn't work but since the one above me said that earlier, I just gave you the script.
Did you think about SSHing into that machine and logging into it and then install RSH, I know how to configure RSH to allow passwordless login, But then RSH is even less secure than SSH but if you accomplish what you want, then you'd get something equivalent to passwordless RSH connection.