PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrading different than before?

Zalbor
April 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I usually re-install new version of Ubuntu (having a separate /home partition) because I read that it's much "cleaner" than upgrading through the manager.
I heard however that on the 7.10 to 8.04 transition, upgrading is done differently and so it's as "clean" as relinstalling. Is that true?

joxenford
April 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
I very curious about the upgrade process too. I have a separate home partition as well but would hate to have to reinstall all of my apps as well.

Any insight from the Ubuntu gurus out there?

myle
April 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
I have a similar question.
I haven't upgraded Ubuntu in the past. I have just made a clean install.
During the upgrade process, what is upgraded?
All the installed programs that belong are supported by Ubuntu are going to their last version?
What happens to the programs which are replaced by the newer version and what about the new ones? Is there any option to install them?

Zalbor
April 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
As far as I know, it upgrades everything you have installed, basic ubuntu or not, to the version that's the default for Hardy. But before upgrading, you should disable all third-party repositories and re-add them after the upgrade, using the correct version (hardy instead of gutsy).

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 01:12 AM
During the upgrade process it automatically diables third party apps. Upgrading is quite simple. I have listed the steps I followe here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html