PDA

View Full Version : Still buy CD's?

drascus
April 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Does anyone still by Cd's here? or are you buying them from a website like e-music or Amazon? Or do you share and copy?

personally: I do a little of buying in the stores and from music sites like Amazon. I don't like buying from music sites because then I am locked into Mp3. I can't convert MP3 to ogg without loosing some quality so that is annoying. Also I am an old skool who likes to have album art and whatever else they put in those little cases these days. I personally love the Ogg Vorbis format and buying CD's gives me the choice.

bashveank
April 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
I buy CD's that are on sale sometimes, but I usually just buy mp3s at Amazon.

jken146
April 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Jamendo.

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
It depends on the artist. I haven't gotten any new music since my birthday, when I went out and bought a few CD's :(

macogw
April 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I only buy CDs and records. I refuse to pay for music that could *poof* if my hard drive dies. I want the real, physical media and artwork.

MONODA
April 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
i buy music online from mp3fiesta.com its really cheap so I stopped buying cds

Ozor Mox
April 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I buy CDs of artists I like or compilations, I have a moderate collection. For the odd track here and there I hear on the radio or whatever, I download it with FrostWire. A very large proportion of the music collection on my computer has been built up by taking an external hard drive to a friends house and copying gigabytes of music at a time! :)

hessiess
April 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
CD's, only way to get decent qualaty music.

ctyc
April 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
mp3fiesta.com sweet :)

Sunflower1970
April 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
I do buy CD's from Amazon or other online stores. Most of the stuff I listen to isn't available in a digital format nor can I find it locally.

Martje_001
April 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Usually I buy cd's in the local store. If it's not available there, I download it.

insane_alien
April 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
i buy CD's, rip them to my storage server as .flacs and .oggs when i need them on my mp3player or laptop.

if it is really old and obscure music then i'll download it.

Blue Heron
April 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I never bought a mp3 - CD's from time to time, because there so less platters available.

enchantedsky
April 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I listen to European music, mostly Vocal Trance and Euro-dance (e.g., ATB, Fragma, Culture Beat, General Base, etc.)

American radio doesn't support European music, so I'm forced to download music from various websites which share music in order to preview songs. That's my version of having a European radio in the United States. I eventually find an online music store which has a high bitrate version of the song, and then buy it if I really like it.

SuperSon!c
April 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Cd's - because FLAC rules all.

elamericano
April 23rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
I only buy CDs and records. I refuse to pay for music that could *poof* if my hard drive dies. I want the real, physical media and artwork.

May I suggest that you backup your data! ;-)

And do you think CDs don't fail? In my house I've lost more CDs than their digital counterparts.

Icehuck
April 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
CD's, only way to get decent qualaty music.

Nono, Vinyl is the only way to get quality music. CD's come close but fall too short.

I haven't bought a CD in over a year. I have my records for home use and MP3's for my car or wherever I want to take the music.

Dixon Bainbridge
April 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Nono, Vinyl is the only way to get quality music. CD's come close but fall too short.

I haven't bought a CD in over a year. I have my records for home use and MP3's for my car or wherever I want to take the music.

Ditto. I only buy vinyl. If i cant get it on vinyl, I'll get it on CD. Not bought a CD in years though.

macogw
April 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
May I suggest that you backup your data! ;-)

And do you think CDs don't fail? In my house I've lost more CDs than their digital counterparts.

I had backups. Then my cousin's company's backup drive failed, and I lent her mine, like a good cousin. That one has now failed. Both were Western Digital. I don't trust Western Digital anymore.

And you can resurface a CD easily if it gets scratched.

Dekkon
April 23rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Until there is a decent music downloading service without DRM. I can say that I plan to use Bittorrent for my downloading. The last CD I bought was 1 year ago on my birthday.

Lostincyberspace
April 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Ditto. I only buy vinyl. If i cant get it on vinyl, I'll get it on CD. Not bought a CD in years though.
Get a cd and a vinyl of the song and listen to them at the same time and then say the cd isn't better.

arsenic23
April 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
And you can resurface a CD easily if it gets scratched.

CDs and DVDs degrade overtime. For audio CDs, the more of the protective layer is removed the faster they degrade. I do hear that some audio CDs have a small amount of gold in them that is suposed to alow them to last 100+ years. I'd much rather have data on redundant drives then a huge shelf of CDs anyday.

Info: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4.html

That being said, I have bought CAKE and Audioslave cds, just because I feel like suporting the bands. I never listen too them though, not directly off the disc anyway.

arsenic23
April 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Get a cd and a vinyl of the song and listen to them at the same time and then say the cd isn't better.

I suppose it depends on if you have a nice record player or not. It's vinyl all the way for me and I have them on the same stereo head, but I have a really nice player which I got from my grandfather who had used it in his lounge.

Icehuck
April 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM

I've done it many many times. The CD always fails to compare.

Ozor Mox
April 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Maybe I was born in the wrong decade but I've never really understood how people can say vinyl is better quality than CD. The fact that it crackles and sounds old-school may be cool and nostalgic, and I definitely like it, but that is not a sign of better quality!

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
that will be a debate until the end of time.

treehouse
April 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'll buy vinyl when I get a good deck, but other than that I'm sticking to free digital versions. If I'm going to support the artist, I'll buy concert tickets and a t-shirt so they actually get some of the money (and I'll have a cool shirt).

macogw
April 24th, 2008, 01:02 AM

It might vary by the music. As a rule, jazz and reggae and any other bass-intensive music will always be better from vinyl because it can hold twice as much bass as the CD can.

Maybe I was born in the wrong decade but I've never really understood how people can say vinyl is better quality than CD. The fact that it crackles and sounds old-school may be cool and nostalgic, and I definitely like it, but that is not a sign of better quality!
Crackling and popping aren't why people like it. It's got warmer tones. The crackling and popping come from your stuff being in not-so-great shape. If the record is old and worn in, it'll crackle. If you don't clean it really well with anti-static cleaner, it'll crackle. If the record's fairly new and you've cleaned it and made sure there's no static, it'll sound great.

Pethegreat
April 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I buy CDs, mooch of off people, and I get some from jamendo. I have not bought a CD in 4 months due to low money levels. On my computer I have around 150 CD's ripped into flac. I have around 160 hours of music sitting on my computer.

I am going to look at buying some CD's off the internet when my job picks up in the summer.

I only have one problem with vinyl: The more you play the record the more it degrades due the pressure of the needle on the grooves. A CD can be played endlessly without any wear.

SuperSon!c
April 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM
It might vary by the music. As a rule, jazz and reggae and any other bass-intensive music will always be better from vinyl because it can hold twice as much bass as the CD can.

Crackling and popping aren't why people like it. It's got warmer tones. The crackling and popping come from your stuff being in not-so-great shape. If the record is old and worn in, it'll crackle. If you don't clean it really well with anti-static cleaner, it'll crackle. If the record's fairly new and you've cleaned it and made sure there's no static, it'll sound great.

that's the thing. most people don't know what "warm" is when it comes to music or the reproduction of it. you just don't get that sort of tones from CD's and don't get me started on compressed music.

Dixon Bainbridge
April 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM

It isn't.

If you have a hifi system and your CD player sounds better that your deck then you have a crap tone arm and cartridge. And before you say "what about crackles, pops and scratches on vinyl" with a decent cartridge and tone arm you don't hear any of that - it filters it dead. Most people, I guess, listen to vinyl on cheap turntables.

I have quite a few albums on CD and vinyl as it happens. There is a huge difference, and its noticeable. The dynamic range and soundstaging is better on vinyl. Honest :)

EDIT: As an addition - I bought CD's when they first really started being commerical available in the early-mid 1980's. I have around 40 CD's from this period and most of them are unplayable now - the coating on the plastic degraded. They may well have improved that on newer CD's, but I doubt it. Still play vinyl fine from 1955. :)

dev10
April 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I still buy CD's sometimes. Most of the time I buy my music with the iTunes Music store. (I own an iPod, and buying music there is so easy.)

warbread
April 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I buy cds, sometimes. I never "steal" music, mostly because if I like the music, then it's worth buying. If I don't like the music, then why would I want it? Anyways, I buy mostly independant music. There's a local band in the area that's getting quite big, Meniskus (http://www.meniskusband.com/), and I just bought all of their cds at a show. I bought NIN's new album, Ghosts. I recently got some Massive Attack and Portishead albums. If Tool ever releases new material, I'll buy that.

So yeah, my money does go to cds. I hate buying from major labels, though. I hate the homogeneous crud that flows out of the radio, and giving those buttholes money is like saying I want more of it. It just makes my skin crawl, ya know?

Jamendo is great, too.