PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to get nvidia drivers to work in 8.04

shmoe010
April 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
I did a fresh install of 8.04 on a new HDD. The first time I loaded it I managed to get in under "low graphics mode", but after that it just turns black (my monitor says "mode not supported."

I've followed several help threads, but to no avail. I have tried manually editing the /etc/modules and /etc/X11/xorg.conf files, then when that didn't work, I followed another thread's directions and ran nvidia-xconfig. At one point I was able to get it back into low graphics mode to get all the updates I need, and I followed yet another fix by installing Envy, but the installation of the driver doesn't complete, it just crashes.

I'm pretty new to linux, and I'm getting frustrated because it seems so intermittent. Sometimes I can get it to go as far as the login screen (in the 1280x1024 resolution) but logging in just leads me to the black screen again. If anyone else has had similar issues, or knows of a really good fix for this, please let me know.

System Specs:

DFI LanParty Socket 939
Opteron 165
2x1 GB Crucial Ballistix
2x500 GB HDD
eVGA 7800 GTX graphics card

Thanks in advance for your help!

shmoe010
April 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have gotten it so that I can consistently get to the login splash screen, but once it accepts my user name and password my monitor stops responding.

Vic Morgan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
If it is the Nvidia drivers, try EnvyNG. it's available from ADD/Remove.

shmoe010
April 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
bump

Fire_Chief
April 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Schmoe, did you try Vic's suggestion to use EnvyNG? If you cannot install it through the GUI, you can get it from the command line.
sudo apt-get install envyngThen once it's installed run
sudo envyng and choose your option.

shmoe010
April 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Schmoe, did you try Vic's suggestion to use EnvyNG? If you cannot install it through the GUI, you can get it from the command line.
sudo apt-get install envyngThen once it's installed run
sudo envyng and choose your option.

Tried this, and envy returns an error "Warning: Cannot open display" and stops/

Fire_Chief
April 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Tried this, and envy returns an error "Warning: Cannot open display" and stops/

Oops...my bad...forgot the -t for text mode :(

Try
sudo envyng -t