PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Im having a hard time getting files off my linux machine to windows.

Stickey1123
April 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
I have a laptop and PC running ubuntu and 2 windows machines. I can get files off my windows mach. but when I try to get files off of ubuntu it ask for a username and password, in which I tried my linux login which didnt work. How would I go about changing the username PW or even finding out what it would be.

Monicker
April 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
I have a laptop and PC running ubuntu and 2 windows machines. I can get files off my windows mach. but when I try to get files off of ubuntu it ask for a username and password, in which I tried my linux login which didnt work. How would I go about changing the username PW or even finding out what it would be.

You have to configure the users and passwords for authentication.

Try this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/install-samba-server-on-ubuntu/

Stickey1123
April 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
It let me install it but it wont let me configure it. I put in the command and it said comman not found

Monicker
April 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
It let me install it but it wont let me configure it. I put in the command and it said comman not found

Eh? You tried what command, which resulted in exactly what error?

dmizer
April 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
this is a very very common problem.

there could be multiple causes, first is that your ubuntu username is not added in the samba group. that may sound like greek, but the fix is simple. just perform the following in the terminal:

sudo smbpasswd -L -a ubuntu_username
sudo smbpasswd -L -e ubuntu_username
replace ubuntu_username with your actual ubuntu user name

the other common cause for this problem occurs because of firewalls. if you've installed firestarter on your ubuntu machine, you will run into this problem unless you configure the ports correctly.