PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help playing videos on firefox

braydon619
April 23rd, 2008, 04:58 AM
hey everyone,

recently i had installed linux on my new comp i got and i enjoyed it ALOT... everything seemed to work fine, and what didn't could figure out.
the HDD crashed on me about 2 weeks after i got it though so i sent it back and got it replaced so i just got the comp back. today i set it up so i'm dual booting ubuntu and the horrible vista. installation went fine, partioning and everything too... i did the updates, turned on some codecs to play music, installed aMSN, and then tried to youtube...

here's my problem... youtube works now but many other sites that stream videos won't play... .swf files are the big one i noticed. I can't figure out how to get them to play... also almost all sites have a banner that won't display... it just has a "play" symbol with a circle around it and you have to click it too see that banners... i don't really like that.... if anyone can help me figure this out please and thanks... thanks for you patience, i'm trying to learn linux

fretplay
July 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I had the same problem when I installed ubuntu 9.04 -went through quite a number of different suggestions on another forum, but never got the video part to funktion. -This is a wierd way to get it to work, but it works.
-Install ubuntu 8.10 instead of 9.04
-Then upgrade it to 9.04 from the update manager.
-aparently this way the system keeps some of the original settings, and it then works.
-After installing 8.10 -go in the add/remove menu and find all the codecs you need, and install it before upgrading. -dont know if it have any effekt, but it was the way I did it, just so you know.

-There should be another way to do it, but aparently it havent been found yet.-Not by me anyway.

-I know you can toggle the arrow on/off in firefox somehow, but it doesnt help with the problem.

martinbaselier
July 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Try this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683