PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get OpenGL (games) application to run in Full-Screen

Doombringer
April 23rd, 2008, 03:50 AM
Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 (laptop with a native resolution of 1280x800), running Ubuntu HH 8.04 and I can't seem to be able to run my games in full-screen mode. They either only start in a windowed mode or there are black bars around. I had the same problem in OpenSUSE before I switched to Ubuntu HH. I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this kind of problem...

My guess is that my video driver (proprietary 3d-enabled nvidia drivers) won't let any applications resize the resolution or something like that...

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Doombringer
April 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
No one ?

Doombringer
April 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
bump

SR_ELPIRATA
April 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Not sure if it will help but did u install the restricted drivers?

You should be able to see a green icon near the speaker or if not go to System >> Administration >> Restricted Drivers Manager.

ELP

Doombringer
April 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Not sure if it will help but did u install the restricted drivers?

You should be able to see a green icon near the speaker or if not go to System >> Administration >> Restricted Drivers Manager.

ELP

Yeah, of course I did

Thank for your help though but that is not the problem...

SR_ELPIRATA
April 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Sounds like u need to get into your graphics card settings. I can tell you one thing, wish it would work like what you are experiencing in windows :) widescreens usually force (there) for you to experience games in stretch mode, is kind of nice to either see it in window or with black bars on the sides.

With this being said... Im wondering what are you trying to achieve:

1. Run 4:3 games stretched... or
2. Run widescreen games in widescreen mode (doh to myself).

ELP

Doombringer
May 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah well I am trying to stretch the 4:3 ratio into the 16:9 ratio of my notebook screen (1280x800).

There is one thing though, I have an external 1680x1050 screen and when I plug this one, it will stretch without a problem. I tried to run starcraft via wine and it would not stretch and give me the top-left corner + black bars on my notebook screen but it would stretch on my external screen.

Any idea on how to fix this ?

And I am aware that lcds have native resolutions but still, if it could be set to 800x600 (and not look as good as 1280x800), it would be cool.