PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dragging windows

Respectable
April 23rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Hey y'all I just finished installing Ubuntu 7.10 on my comp, and this is my first post. The first thing I've noticed is that when I opened a window, I am unable to drag/move it. This is my first expierence with Ubuntu and I'm probably making a mistake of staying in the Windows XP mindset, but the usual left click on title bar and drag does not work for me. The window just seems
stuck to the top left corner. I also searched around a bit for anyone with similar problems, and have tried the alt-drag system as well to no avail. I tried changing my resolution, but that didn't seem to do anything either. I would be happy to provide someone with additional info about my set up, but keep in mind that I'm still new to the OS, and can't really find my way around the terminal yet. Thanks for any help.

PointyWombat
April 23rd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Windows work pretty much the same way as you're probably used to so you most likely have a problem.

Did you run a live CD before you installed to HD, and was it a problem there?

Do your windows have buttons to let you minimize, maximize and close windows? (Is windows manager working?)

Are you using any advanced desktop effects (compiz) ?

Do all windows snap to the upper-left? Do new windows cover completely previous windows?

If you double-click on the top of a window, does it maximize?

jakupl
April 23rd, 2008, 03:50 AM
No this is actually quite strange.. I think i've had the same problem at some point... but it magically dissapeared. Are you running some desktop effects?

When holding the Alt key, you should be able to move the windows no matter where on the window you press. So try this.
Hold the Alt key while clicking the left mouse button anywhere on the window.

Respectable
April 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
Thanks guys, I had been too eager to start messing around with compiz, and had turned up the settings without realizing what I had changed. Turning the settings back down to normal seemed to have fixed the problem.